So the problem with intense moving and sight-seeing over the past two weeks sans Internet is that I've got a motherload of photos and stories to update. I'm going to tackle it by city and hope this covers the void from the end of July to the beginning of August.
GOODBYE, STOCKTON
In attempt to empty out our pantry before moving, I tested out my first ever oats in a jar. It was alright, but I think I had too much peanut butter left in the jar. I guess I rushed it, you know, moving out and wanting to toss it and all. It was also WAY too hot to hold on to. I might try it again... in several months, since that's how long it'll take me to finish up a jar!
I ended up going with that chai oatmeal I've had a while, plus some of TJ's super berry mix of dried berries and crunched up some walnuts. Good, but too much PB for my taste.
In addition to cleaning out the cabinets there were several going away meals. I'm not going to say who, but a furry member of my household snuck some of my sushi. How rude!!! He gobbled up an entire pinwheel of caterpillar roll in one bite! We also went out with J.D.'s best friend from high school. He's Greek so naturally we dined at the nicest Greek restaurant in Stockton :)
The meal started out with endless baskets of pita bread. I went nuts on that and tzatziki and wound up with limited stomach space for the actual meal. I selected a crisp Sauvignon blanc to go with my meal.
Followed by a fresh Greek salad with a block of feta on top. Oh yeah and I also got all the boys' kalamata olives, which are kind of my favorite. I looove olives.
Next up came the main course, which ended up being two dinners and a lunch over the next two days. Score! I ordered the Mediterranean chicken with pesto, fresh veggies and pasta.
And then, just like that, after several days of intense packing/cleaning, I quit my job with no promise of future employment and left the condo while J.D. drove down to Arizona to begin his first week at his new job. I, on the other hand, enjoyed a week of unemployment at my parents' house in the Bay Area before he flew back up and we checked out of the condo and packed up a truck to move all our crap 12 hours south.
HOME, SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
Since then I've been having mild panic attacks about finding work/insurance. Luckily, I've since been approved for insurance after comparing plans and applying at my parents' house.
During my week of "vacation" at home, I got to do a little sightseeing. Chic Runner posted about the most AMAZING cupcake shop after running the San Francisco Marathon. From seeing her tweets and post, I knew I HAD to visit before leaving the state of California -- the only state I've ever had permanent residence in -- for good! Enter SF's own American Cupcake. Heaven in your mouth. They sell individual cupcakes and also cupcake/wine pairing flights!!!
We made a girls' day of it with my sister's only day off work during the week, to include my mom and her friend! The place had an awesome ambiance on a cute little street with abundant shopping. It was a pain to get to though, taking BART instead of driving. We ended up walking about 2.5 miles or so both ways. It made for a long trek with typical blistery SF summer weather. Worlds away from the 100 degree heat in the Arizona desert. Either way, all WORTH IT for these cupcakes!!!
My sis and I were both curious about the Beer and Chocolate flight, so I decided to order it and split the Tunnel of Love wine flight with her. Mine came with a chocolate mint cupcake, chocolate peanut butter and chocolate coconut. And let me tell you something, these people really know how to pair their drinks!!! With the mint came a Japanese beer that went down smooth, the coconut was accompanied by my fav beer on the planet, hef, and the chocolate PB partnered with something I'd NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS see myself enjoying. Chocolate stout. OM#*@@%#G it was good! I really enjoyed how it complimented the heavy taste of both chocolate and PB but also the creamier notes. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think I could ever drink it as a drink. But it had nice tasting notes. I also let my sister have more than half of that one :)
Finishing up our halves, we swapped and I got to sample the wine flight. Aimee's came with a red hot cupcake, red velvet and simple chocolate. They went with a cab, bubbly and the epitome of summer (in my mind) rosé. I looooove chocolate and wine. All perfect pairings I had the indescribable pleasure of sampling :)
Our mom said "I'd like to try the Walk of Shame" (giggles) and from what I could tell, was pretty yummy! It came with a lemon cupcake I never got to taste because she woofed down all of hers very fast :) butterscotch and coconut cupcakes. They went with various wines and the butterscotch/merlot combo was pretty awesome!
My favorite after all was said and done?
Had to be the wines! :) Like father, like daughter. Which reminds me of a post for another day... my dad makes wine in his garage and has won medals for it!
HELLO, ARIZONA!
Eventually it had to end and I said goodbye to my family, packed up and met J.D. at the Sacramento Airport before driving back to Stockton to load the truck. We made the 12-hour trek out here to Arizona and little Woodstock was such a good boy and slept for most of it! Like his mama, he too suffered a minor injury. Sidenote: I'm seeing a sports therapist for my knee and will be sidelined from running for quite some time :( MAJOR BOO!!!! I have degenerative tissue below the kneecap and some sort of tendinitis below it. So massages, adjustments, stretches and kinesiotape will have to do for now. Woodstock also pushed his limits and jumped out of someone's arms while he was at home with me and thankfully didn't end up breaking anything!! He just suffered from a minor limp and took some pain meds, but no worries, the pooch loves running, digging and rolling around in his new grassy backyard.
Other than that, I've been spending an ungodly amount of time unpacking and getting lost in exploring my new city. We made it out to J.D.'s favorite restaurant of all time, another Guy Fieri feature on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chino Bandito. Mexican, Chinese and Jamaican fare. But here's the kicker, you order your main meat selection (Chinese or Mexican) in a burrito, rice bowl or quesadilla! Then you get to pick beans and rice (fried, regular or Jamaican jerk). I went with a steak quesadilla seasoned with Chinese flavors, alongside jade chicken, white rice and black refried beans. Again, I sound like a broken record but holy yum!!!!!! It was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed J.D.'s orange chicken quesadilla :)
His
And hers.
Last but not least, the endless job search. I feel like I've been sending out a thousand applications, resumes and cover letters! If all else fails, I've secured several side jobs which should amount to something. I'm dressing the part for success and I do have an interview tomorrow! Something to look forward to :)
I hope someone hires me!!!!
To be continued.....
Also, don't forget you have until MONDAY, AUG. 16 to both enter my Gracie's Gear giveaway and also receive free shipping in my OpenSky shop with the code FREESHIPPING.
Have a good night.... I'm up way too late for a morning interview :)














1. You look fabulous. I want that interview outfit. :)
ReplyDelete2. I am a wine girl, too...but I would have loved to pair beer and cupcakes!
3. I am not a fan of oats in a jar, either. But then again, I tend not to like nut butters in my oats at all...does that make me an outcast in the blogger world?
I'm a big fan of chocolate with anything... lol. I've always been curious about the chocolate stouts, but I think that they always seem like such dark and heavy beers, I seem to stay away...
ReplyDeleteSorry you weren't as big of a fan of OIAJ. Did you microwave the oats in the pb jar? I often do the oatmeal in a bowl like I normally do, then dump them in the jar. That way, it's not as hot... :)
Have a good Thursday!!!
It sounds like things are going well!! Isn't it crazy how fast time goes when you are moving?! I hope the job situation works out for you!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your interview!! I had one yesterday in DC, they are always so nerve racking. And cupcakes + beer sounds like a pretty cool treat!
ReplyDeleteMoving is so stressful. Glad you are settling in.
ReplyDeleteAll that food looks so fresh and delicious. The wine looks mighty tasty too.
What a cool place to have beer and cupcake flights. Awesome!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you visited and love connecting with others. :)
a cupcake flight w/ a wine flight? best combo ever!! you're so cute!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck on the interview!! Knock um dead!
ReplyDeleteHow have I not known about American Cupcake?! And I have plans this weekend. Ugh. Must find a way to get over there and try some of those awesome flights. Hope the interview goes well!
ReplyDeleteI love the mini cupcakes and the wine combos! Such a cute idea. Looks like you had a great time.
ReplyDeleteNo doubt you've been incredibly busy!!! Those cupcakes seem really interesting- pairing alcohol with cupcakes..never thought about that! haha
ReplyDeleteI've never tried oats in a jar but have baked microwave cakes in empty jars before which was pretty good. You saying it takes months to clean out a jar surprised me- I go through one every week or so haha :P Not saying it's weird to go through them slowly, though..I definitely used to be the same way.
I'm not into hot oatmeal, but I LOVE overnight oats in a jar! 1 part oats, 1 part yogurt, and 1 part milk. I also always diced up a banana and throw that into it. It's like chunky pudding in the morning!
ReplyDelete1. I've missed you.
ReplyDelete2. I'd hire you.
3. I love Mexican food in the A-Z.
4. I am very jealous of your cupcake experience.
So sorry to hear about the knee :( I haven't been able to do anything but walk slowly for over a year, because of my toe, so I feel your frustration!
ReplyDeleteBut honestly, who cares about bung knees and toes when there are wine and beer cupcake tasting extravaganzas? I WANT TO GO TO THERE. :D
Ahh. I hate when the appetizer is so good you forget to leave room for dinner haha.
ReplyDeleteGood luck job hunting still. I'm sure you'll fins something excellent in no time :)!!
Enjoy getting lost, I mean exploring, your new city! It's kind of fun, I think!
YOU. LOOK. GORGEOUS. ABSOLUTELY. GORGEOUS!
ReplyDeletebtw, i laughed at ur rushed oats in a jar! at least it was good even with the over abundance of peanut butter.. but hey i guess too much PB isnt a bad thing right!
xoxo
yum, i love food and wine pairing! and i think i've had chocolate stout, it was pretty good! that's awesome about your dad's wine, looking forward to hearing more about it :)
ReplyDelete[...] hadn’t run nearly 2.5 months. And I died a little bit inside not to do so. Several weeks ago, I severely injured my knee. I’d seen two sports therapists, have been using Rock tape and have several stretches I do [...]
ReplyDelete