If you're like me, and have zero source of income, it's a daunting task thinking of how to afford day-to-day items. I can't make any promises, but there is some help when it comes to buying groceries. Here are some of my suggestions to eating (and affording to eat) on a budget.

(Source)
1. BUY IN BULK - While it may cost you more upfront, you'll be glad you did. There are items I frequently use and what better place to find them than at Costco (or a similar type of place)? Most of our non-perishables came to us from Costco and those that aren't went straight into the freezer for use later in the month/year. Buying in bulk saves a ton of money because the price per unit is generally much cheaper than buying one of those items at a grocery store. And speaking of that....
2. CHECK THE UNIT PRICE - I know this can be a pain, but trust me, it's worth it! Sometimes similar products come in different sizes and prices. How do you compare apples to oranges (not literally), then?? By checking the unit price! I don't think I've found a grocery store that doesn't list unit prices. No matter the case, I will ALWAYS go with the product that costs less per ounce. Counting pennies eventually adds up in the long run. Most grocery stores put the more expensive items at eye level. Look higher or lower for similar products with smaller price tags.
3. GO GENERIC - I've found that more often than not, generic labels are just as good as name brands! If they have the option, go generic. You'll save a lot of money in just one trip that way.
4. USE COUPONS/CLUB CARDS - You know those annoying coupons you get in the mail every week?? USE them!! They do save us money. And often they're for products that you actually use. Also if you have a chance, sign up for your grocery store's club card. They're free and act like using coupons virtually. That being said, always check and see if there are specials on club member items.
5. BUY FROZEN - I don't know if you've noticed or not, but many of the fresh items can also be found for lower prices in the freezer section. This does make a difference in taste when you're talking about eating fresh, but I use most of these products for cooking or baking. You really can't tell the difference in a soup or sauce if a product is fresh or frozen!
6. COOK STAPLE ITEMS IN BULK - If you're a fan of rice or beans for example, those are cheeeap to buy. At the beginning of the week, cook up a large amount and store them in the fridge/freezer for the rest of the week. You can instantly (and cheaply) bulk up meals with this filler. Add to soups, use as a side dish, make a warm/cold salad, put in tacos, make chili, the possibilities are endless with what you could do with a little extra grains and legumes in your house!
7. MAKE IT YOURSELF - Most pre-packaged items are super convenient and save you a lot of time. But they're also marked up much higher than if you could make it yourself! Being unemployed gives you the luxury of having a lot of extra time. So if you see something tempting at the grocery store or at a restaurant and it looks like something you could replicate to a certain extent, don't buy it! Wait and make it at home. The Internet is full of millions of recipes, just do a quick Google search and try your hand at making it at home. Plus, you'll feel more confident with your own cooking abilities once you pull it off!
8. FORGO BOTTLED WATER - A fast and easy way to save money is by ditching bottled water! Buy a Brita filter or use your reverse osmosis water filters and bottle your own water. You'll instantly save $1 every time you drink a glass of water and imagine what you're doing for the environment by not using all that plastic. Make sure you get a sturdy aluminum or a BPA-free plastic bottle to refill with water.
9. SKIP SPECIALTY STORES - I know it's tempting, but I haven't walked into a Whole Foods/A.J.'s/Sprouts since the move here! Sometimes regular old chain grocery stores have just as good gourmet-quality products for a smaller price. I mean, if you HAVE to go to a specialty store, make a short list and STICK TO IT. Don't buy things there you can readily find at larger grocery stores.
10. BUY IN SEASON - I looove fresh fruits and vegetables. But there's a time for everything. Take advantage of the crop seasons by only buying what's in season! Don't buy cherries and peaches in the winter, you'll be slapped with a bill two-to-three times the price you'd pay in the summer! You can usually tell which items are in season by their unit prices, how big the display for that produce item is and any special sales that might be going on. Our grocery store in Stockton used to have strawberries for buy one get two free at the high point of the summer. We stocked up and froze half. Plus, you get to be creative with new recipes for foods that are in season!
That's it! It's easy, it can be a little time-consuming, but it'll save you money! By following these rules, J.D. and I have spent under $110 (for two people) over the past two weeks. Not bad.
I feel like I'm forgetting something though... anyone have any tips for me/us on my limited spending grocery runs?! :)

I would say, check out manufacturer's website for coupons. Especially organic/natural products. I always find some!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! I get the notifications from supermarkets and on Sundays get the paper, look at whats on sale at the different stores and compare with my coupons so I can get the most bang for my buck.
ReplyDeleteThese are so pertinent to me right now with my current extremely low income. I've only just learnt about the unit pricing... it makes it SO much easier to buy the cheapest item!!
ReplyDeleteThese are great tips! I hate the idea that I am now on a food budget. But a bag of dry beans for $1.10 goes a long way!
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely a frozen/generic girl.
ReplyDeleteAnd I always check the ads online before I go- figure out which of the two grocery stores I'd get a better deal at...
The tip that works best for me, and you touched on it in tip # 9, is to make and stick to an overall grocery list (not just for specialty stores).
ReplyDeleteI know it's boring, but if you're on a tight budget like I am, consider keeping only the bare essentials on hand and only add the items that you run low on to the list. When it comes time to go grocery shopping, you can breeze through the store in a matter of minutes AND you won't be tempted to waste money on items you don't truly need.
Great tips Monique!
I'm so relieved to hear that you spend $100 on two people a week. Hubby and I shoot for that goal and I always got the impression others could go on much less. Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteI'm catching up on a bunch of old posts, have been super busy! Like the new frugal eating series, you have good tips!
ReplyDeletesuper great tips! i think i swear by....all of them :) one thing i know i could change is to stop buying bags of salad. those things are pricey, but their convenience suckers me in every time!
ReplyDeleteI'm on a food budget, too. Sigh. I also love checking out the discount grocery in town. They have stuff that a grocery store wouldn't sell because of dents in the can or box or rips in the label. Great food...super cheap!
ReplyDeletei follow every one of these tips- they are so effective and i cant believe ive wasted so much money in the past not know this! im actually the one teaching my mom who is stubborn when it comes to finding the best deals. its so much easier tho, and if u get in the habit of knowing where to look and when to look, it makes life so much simpler. GREAT POST <3 <3
ReplyDeleteI had an argument (well, a bickering) with my boyfriend last night when he said "I can't afford to eat right, you know?" and I said "no, I don't...because you can" and then I told him about your site and the last post about eating great under $10. I'll have to show him this one, too. :)
ReplyDeleteThese are *great* tips! I'm printing this out and using it as a resource guide for friends, family and myself. Thanks! :D
ReplyDelete(p.s. totally agree with the generic tip! Usually it tastes identical. :D )