Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The One That Got Away

Yesterday needed to be an exciting, busy day for me to get my mind off a phone call that started my morning. I received what I imagine would have been the perfect job for me and for where I'm at right now. Except.... it was in Nevada. I'm in Arizona. I interviewed over the phone and then was flown out to Reno to meet all the co-workers and coaches who would be working with this position. It was very enticing. I was sold immediately upon my flight out to Reno.

But the mind can play some gnarly tricks on you when you've steadily been unemployed for the better part of three months. I really wanted the job. I still do. However, it was not practical for me and my situation so I had a long inner struggle trying to figure out whether or not I should take the opportunity. In order to keep my mind from exploding, I tried to keep busy with J.D. and Woodstock, allowing a day to really explore the Phoenix area and what I would be missing if I took that job.

We spent the afternoon picnic-ing and hiking around South Mountain Park, a network of regional mountain trails that overlooks Downtown Phoenix and the entire Valley of the Sun.

PA251841-1024x768

PA251852-1024x768

PA251855-1024x768

PA251861-1024x768

Sometimes a girl just needs some time alone with her dog to think.

By the end of the day, I'd talked to enough people who've done the long distance thing in favor of a job, I spoke with former co-workers, friends and family. The results came back split. I needed a break for dinner. Spaghetti squash it was then, with a zucchini asparagus marinara sauce atop. As delicious as it was, I was too nervous to eat.

PA251863-768x1024

PA251865-1024x768

Eventually I went to bed, tossing and turning and dreading the call I'd have to make in the a.m. With a heavy heart, I decided to turn down the position this morning. But, I freaked out. When the director didn't answer, I left a voicemail. How cowardly was that?!? Who leaves a voicemail??? Either way, I'm still hopelessly unemployed and in search of the right opportunity. It's so hard when companies aren't hiring and the positions I've applied for online keep getting reposted in search of new candidates. I wonder if I'm going to find as good a job in this area as what Reno had promised me...

It's funny because I've up and left so many times in my life for jobs that promised very uncertain futures. I packed up and moved to France with no idea where I'd be living. After living in Europe, I jumped into a job in collegiate athletics, a career that would be extremely demanding, despite not really having any previous experience in the field. I up and left my job in Stockton to move to Arizona with no promise of employment anywhere on the horizon. I've seemed to land on my feet each time. But I decided not to take the leap in this specific situation.

I just hope I made the right call; it takes a lot of courage to say no to a job you really want. Now I'm going to drown my sorrows in an afternoon of baking. Sleeping in late didn't help elevate my confidence level today. Maybe pumpkin banana bread will do the trick.

13 comments:

  1. I think what you did was courageous. I think when you are young and do not have ties to people or places it's easy and exciting to pick up and move on a whim for a job, but as you get older, form relationships, and plant roots places, you have to realistic about what will work best in it's entirety and look at the whole picture. I've had a lot of this happen to me in the last few years and it's tough, but when you look at the life you have overall, that one piece of the equation (the job) is not as important as everything together. Good luck in your continued search. You'll find the right thing, just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're having such a struggle with the job search. But I'm sure you ended up going with your gut on this one- and something will come along that will be just right for you! I know it!

    Bake away, sista'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I didn't know you'd made the decision yet, and was going to suggest that you not take the job because of your dog. Seriously, because of your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry the job world isn't working in your favor yet. I know that this is not what you want to hear, but things work out in the end. I had to wait three months but ended up finding an amazing internship. You'll get there in time. Just keep your head up for now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I'm sorry to hear about the job. At least you made the right decision before moving out there and attempting a LDR. Plus, what would Woodstock do without you??
    If it's any consolation, I love your apron and am uber jealous of your mountain pics! Papago Park or Camelback?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your decision. That took courage. It sounds like you did a lot of thinking and seeking advice about it, so know that you made the right choice. Cling to that. Even if you're in the "perfect job," to be far away from people you love is just torture. I wouldn't recommend choosing a long distance situation to anyone.

    Good luck on your hunt! Stick with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's right for you at this precise moment, then it was the right call. It's awful that the job didn't fall into place for you, but have faith in yourself. You're doing what's right to you, and the world will follow eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw, that was a tough decision but i'm sure you made the right choice. your spaghetti squash looks ridiculously good and i'm sad you were too nervous to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saying no to something that you wish could have been a yes is probably one of the hardest things to do. I hope there are more definite yeses coming your way soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These types of decisions are ALWAYS hard. fact is, often, there is no "right" answer--just an answer that for us, at this specific time in our lives, is slightly better than the other. you thought it through and you made a decision--now own it! life is going to send great things your way. sometimes it just takes more patience. good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was actually South Mountain in Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a hard decision! It sounds like you have a lot to offer an employer and I am sure something will turn up. THe waiting is the hardest part. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are really brave! These are really difficult decisions to make, but I do think that you know what's best for you. Someday all this will make sense :)

    ReplyDelete