Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week 3: Attend a Phoenix Suns game

NBA games kind of bore me. Ok, that's a super broad statement to make. I dislike watching the NBA on tv; I find it monotonous and I feel like it's the longest of all the professional sports seasons (this is coming from the girl who loves Major League Baseball and its... 162 game-season). To be honest, I prefer college basketball MUCH more than professional basketball. But maybe that's because I've worked more college basketball games than I can count. I'll admit that I have been to a few pro basketball games (Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings) and enjoyed myself. Heck, I even worked a few Kings games as a radio statistician when I was living in Stockton...

kings

...and made it on tv. Thanks to my cousin, Kevin, for taking that picture back in 2008 :) That's me in the bottom left corner, happy as can be!

But my point is that I've never actually purchased NBA tickets on my own, just to go to a game. Nor had I ever gone to a Phoenix Suns game, despite living in the Phoenix metropolitan area for over six months. Until now.

Phoenix's local Groupon-esque site had Suns tickets for about $16 a pop I think, for sometime later this week. I was curious as to how much tickets actually cost and found a few decently priced tickets on Stubhub for last weekend's game against the Portland Trail Blazers. For a whopping $22, I bought two tickets. Even better, the Metro here is FREE for anyone who has a ticket to any event at the US Airways Center. And parking is free on the lightrail too. So, $22 for transportation, a game and parking... can't beat that anywhere!

photo-31

For $11, we didn't have bad seats. I've never watched a basketball game from on top of the action before. Admittedly, I was a little bored at the beginning. There were so many turnovers, fouls and technicals, I couldn't help but want to wander around the arena. But by the second half, the Suns came back and started to make a game of it! They finally pulled it out, after flirting with sending the game into overtime, 115-111. I enjoyed the experience immensely. Even if it was well past my bedtime after we got home (tip-off was at 8:30 p.m. and waiting for/riding the metro took over an hour). Plus, anytime you get to see Steve Nash and Grant Hill is a night well spent.

I'd do it again... for more free/cheap tickets. Even if the Suns didn't hire me after interviewing for a PR job haha :)

photo-4

To keep track of each of my 52 new things in 52 weeks, check out the list page!

9 comments:

  1. I prefer college over professional almost any day except for when it comes to baseball... I think the competition is much more intense and the game moves a lot faster! Not to say I'd ever turn down the opportunity to go to any game, though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T CARE what level of baseball I'm watching... those pants?!?!?! Well, maybe that's a lie. Make sure they're at least 18+ haha, I'm a creep. But I do love me some baseball players :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would much rather watch college basketball over professional! I would have definitely gone to this game though...or any pro game for that matter! And that was super cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do look quite happy in that tv pic! I love US Airways Arena (thats what its called yes?) it has so much energy and always entertaining, plus if you dont get food or drink, it's super cheap!

    I am way into bball when I go to a game but not so much on tv. March Madness is around the corner though and I cant wait, now that I can watch on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooooooooh my gosh! How fun!!!
    I'm a slight Kings fan since I grew up new near Sacramento. But still, how fun!!!... even if they didn't offer you a PR position (but wow, that would be an awesome job!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I am so jealous. You always do the coolest stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love the idea of weekly goals! My boyfriend would be so jealous, he LOVES the Suns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project, am totally digging it. Good for you girl! I used to love the Sac Kings back when I was in HS, but now they suck. Not that I'm a fair weather fan or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah.... they're pretty hard to watch haha. Even last year....

    ReplyDelete