Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Taco Tuesday

Last night was one of the more enjoyable nights I've had living in Stockton! Does that ever happen to anyone else -- you seem to go out, do more and make more friends right before leaving?!


It happened when I worked for the AVP and left. It happened literally the final two weeks I lived in France. And now it's happening in Stockton! I'm someone who struggles at meeting new people and going out and enjoying new cities/places at first. But once I'm out of my shell, it comes much easier for me. My goal in Phoenix is to start loving life and meeting people right away!!


Anyways, back to last night. A couple of friends from work were planning on meeting up at Windmill Cove, an island-ish bar and grill located right of the Delta draining into the San Francisco Bay. The easiest way to get there from where we live is by boat down the river. It would have been a five minute drive. Except, none of us has a boat.




So instead we drove 20ish minutes to get there. And immediately started having the time of our lives! There were two live bands, a DJ, beach volleyball courts and all-you-can-eat tacos for $7.50! Greatest and cheapest dinner I've had in a LONG time. I went nuts and had about five mini tacos :) You had your choice of crunchy or soft shells filled with either shredded chicken or ground beef. After getting the tacos then a line formed by the condiments area, where you could add hot sauce, pico de gallo salsa, gaucamole, sour cream, cheese, lettuce and olives. I sampled a little bit of everything and was in heaven.



Then upstairs where the band was playing I tried one of their famous house mai tais. Strongest drink I've ever had. It was composed of four different rums, more alcohol, more alcohol on top of that, a little bit of orange juice and then the bartender floated white rum on top. My first sip was pretty hard to get through. Eventually I got there and enjoyed it. One was enough for me, the lightweight :)


We saw a really interesting mix of people there too. People watching in Stockton is one of my favorite activities. For example, we saw tons of women dressed super cute and fairly young, who when they turned around to our horror were in their 50s-60s and dressed like their teens! Think of that one leathery scene from There's Something About Mary... Then we saw a chick wearing a denim onesie with a bright pink... um... body thong underneath it? I saw a girl wearing a full on rainbow outfit, a woman wearing socks under her sandals, dude with beer guts flapping in the wind, and then some. Free music and flowing alcohol really brings out the city's finest :)



This is the entrance to the place, grassy area for dining downstairs, grill inside and bar on the upstairs patio.


And oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I CHOPPED MY HAIR yesterday morning. I knew I wanted a change; something easy I could manage in the 100ยบ + heat I'll be living in down in Arizona. I walked in with these two pictures:



(Source)



(Source)


And came out with this:



The mai tai in hand helped me cope a little bit. It's nothing like what I asked, and a good two inches shorter than she said she was going to cut it. Worst of all is that I can't even put it in a ponytail!!! Nor a half pony or anything. I don't know what to do with this :( It's shorter than anything I've ever had and I don't think it looks good for my face structure. Another downside is that my hair grows at a sloth's pace. It takes forever to grow out. So I'm stuck with this mess for a little bit. Oh well.



We still enjoyed our evening though! As did the rest of our crew.



I love the summer!!! It's my favorite season of the year :)


22 comments:

  1. I hate haircuts that are too short. That happened to me before my wedding. Not like too too short, but an inch shorter than I wanted, I was pissed! I have found some good ways to help it grow tho. Eat yogurt & drink lots of water and also a multivitamin. Prenatals are the best, and you don't have to be prego to take them, but if it weirds ya out - just go for a women's multi. Your nails will be stronger too. And then every couple of nights or so, give yourself a scalp massage. Basically scratching / massaging your scalp. It will stimulate growth (and oil - so maybe do it before bed and then shower in the am). Anywho. I think it is cute. And headbands are totally back in. I have been wearing lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haircuts terrify me. But you ended up with good shape still! So that's always promising! And after a week or so, it starts to look more like "you". Promise! I think it's kind of cute, actually...

    And people watching is my fav. So many times when we go out, people think I'm bored, but really I'm having a great time because I'm most likely inappropriately staring at someone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always take pictures to the hair dresser and my hair never looks like it does in the pictures. It kinda sucks.
    Hopefully you can figure out how to work with your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All you can eat tacos for $7.50?! How can you go wrong! I used to waitress at a restaurant that had all you can eat wings for $8 and thought that was a pretty good deal (even though I don't eat them anymore) but that's shameful compared to the taco deal! Oh, and I think your hairscut looks cute! I promise I'm not just saying that either. :) I can see how not being able to pull it back may be annoying, but it honestly looks fun and flirty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your hair is adorable! Mine is shorter than yours, so to put it back I use bobby pins to keep it out of my face!!

    Your night looks like such fun! I do the same thing with meeting people! It takes forever to get out of my shell...I vowed not to do that when we moved and it's been a great choice for me and I'm enjoying things much more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. all you can eat tacos?! omg so jealous. your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you look like a hot mama!! And I want a taco feast! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look gorgeous any way you do your hair! im loving the short look, so good for summer, nice, light, and free hehe <3

    mm and cheap foods can sometimes be the best food! had some tacos a couple nights ago! NOM NOM NOM

    btw did i mention how GORGEOUS YOU ARE ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are crazy, i LOVE that hair cut on you!! But I know it is hard when you are not crazy about it because it's not what you wanted. If it is any consolation though, I do think you look awesome! :)

    Glad you had a good time. I want all you can eat tacos for that cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your hair looks great, honestly! It makes your look really "fresh" and vibrant. :) So often haircuts are something you just have to get used to for a few days, and then suddenly it starts to feel okay again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your hair looks cute! It's hard to tell from the pictures if they gave you a little bit of bangs, but I think once you get used to it (and hit the hot heat in AZ, you'll feel ok!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like the summer weather is encouraging a TON of my friends to go under the scissors, so to speak. Your hair looks wonderful!! Once you get used to it and the hot weather really gets to you, you'll be grateful you made the leap girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your hair is cute :)

    All you can eat tacos at that price - I want that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun event! And I love your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice article, thanks! I've subscribed to your RSS feed. Please keep up posting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the hair looks adorable and it will be easy to manager! But sometimes alcohol does it more bearable :)

    And that food looks amazing. Drinks sound perfect right now, it's so miserable out, meh. I've noticed that with moving also-right before you leave you meet awesome people, why does God work like that??!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your hair A LOT. Go you.

    I told Lars the other day we should have Taco Tuesdays. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate it when you don't get the haircut you were expecting. I know it probably feels uncomfortable but you'll get used to it and at the end of the day it will grow out, no matter how long it takes! I think it looks fine though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw! I thought you were going to say you loved your haircut. I think it looks really cute! I understand though about unwelcome hair surprises.

    An endless taco bar?! Sounds fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Monique! 2 things for you -- first, can you help me figure out how to get my own "signature" at the bottom of my posts?

    Second (more importantly) - you won my PB2 giveaway a while back and I never heard from you!! Please email me your contact info at ferventfoodie@gmail.com so I can ship you the goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm always so scared to cut my hair short, even though I have wanted to for so long. What I've found though is sometimes it grows faster the shorter I cut it, because it's really healthy, if that makes you feel any better. However, that being said, I really like it! I think it looks great on you, you probably just have to get used to the change.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous! I am absolutely loving it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete