Monday, August 23, 2010

A day in Scottsdale

We live kind of far from Scottsdale, but it's an area I absolutely loooove down here!! I had to go down there on Saturday, so J.D. tagged along with me and waited patiently so we could shop, play and eat in Scottsdale.


After I finished getting things done, we wandered around the Fashion Square mall and delved into what it's like to live a high-end lifestyle. However, I left having only spent about $35. Truly, I was a fish out of water. We did wind up in a puppy store (shocking) and found some toy ideas for Woody that might have to be purchased at a smaller, cheaper, pet store.


Like this toy, it's a blue kitty called iSqueak Monique! What the heck?!? Really?? I might have to find this soon.



Overwhelmed by all the Bebes, Bloomingdales and Coach stores, we concluded our shopping trip (since I was in heels all afternoon long) at H&M. Man, do we know how to luxury shop or what??? While J.D. ventured downstairs to the men's floor, I waited in the 20-minute line for the dressing room, yikes. I found quite a few outfits I loooved but since I'm on a budget and no income, I promised myself I'd only leave with one thing. I'm really digging dresses right now, for when I finally do land a job. I don't really ever see myself wearing pants down here in the Southwest!



The lighting was kind of blah... but this dress sure wasn't!! I bought it immediately and then we went back into the maze that was the parking lot to find my car. Sidenote, if it was that packed during the summer, I can't even begin to imagine the winter when all the retired snowbirds come down.


Next up, we headed a few miles down the road to the adult playground. Crackerjax is a large complex of mini golf, batting cages, driving range, bungee jump and go carts. We were set on hitting some balls in the batting cages. First of all, it was super hot. And the price wasn't bad either! After seeing a few and getting a feel for the speed, I roped a few out of the complex :) I think the last three I hit in my round were definitely homers. Awesome.



Could this batting stance BE anymore awkward?!?! I blame it on the purse. And also messing around. Obviously that's not for real since I didn't have my helmet on. Oh yeah, and I am a PRO at discreetly changing in cars. Notice I'm no longer in dress and heels?


Unable to stand the heat any longer, sweating out of our minds we were working up an appetite. I remembered loving Old Town Scottsdale from my Spring Training trips I'd taken to Phoenix in college so we set on out in that direction for some dinner and more window shopping.



Following the walking tour, we made our way into some super touristy shops. And let me tell you, I was thiiiiis close to buying and rocking a cowboy hat haha. Maybe next time.


Anyways after the second round of shopping (sans actually purchasing anything) we passed a neat looking Mexican bar with an adjoining dive bar featuring cheap beer pong. The restaurant, called Cien Agaves, featured what else but 100 tequilas on the menu!! I've had a fair amount of Mexican-inspired food at home, but was telling J.D. that morning how unfortunate it was we hadn't had authentic Mexican food in the Southwest quite yet.



Neither of us bit at the menu, however. I mean, it was happy hour after all, so we indulged in some margaritas! A Cadillac for J.D. and a prickly pear blended margarita for moi. I seriously considered that $200 shot at the bottom of the picture though, because that's how I roll (NOT).



Oooh, they were good! Outside on the chalk board, the restaurant touted its very large taco bar. So I had to go with what was good. I opted for the two taco menu with black beans and rice. My tacos included blackened mahi mahi and pork al pastor with a pineapple salsa.



Yummy!!! Saving room for dessert, I had a surprise left for J.D. So we walked off dinner and dropped the leftovers off in the car just in time to check out something that's becoming a favorite of mine: desert sunset! A large storm was about to roll through, so the clouds were beautifully illuminated in the twilight sky. And then I noticed that strings of light were run across all the streets, beginning to light up and really adding to the ambiance!





And now for the surprise. Last time I was in Old Scottsdale with my parents, we found an old-fashioned soda jerk run by the original owners who established the place in the 1950s.



After much debate, we decided to split something called an "Orange Raft." It was in the section that featured the likes of root beer floats. The orange raft was a refreshingly light glass of Sprite with two scoops of orange sherbet plopped right in!



Um and we even got to channel our inner 50's selves and sipped it out of two straws, while sitting at the soda counter. SO FUN!!!


After dessert, we wandered around the night-lit streets a bit longer before coming home to the puppy.



Such a fun night!!


And now, I'm exercising all the self-restraint in the world as the smell of chocolate wafts around the kitchen. Expect a post tomorrow of my brownies with peanut butter frosting! :)


18 comments:

  1. I want to find a Crackerjax place near me! I got so frustrated earlier this year when I was having a bad day and the only batting cages I could find were closed... Lame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had an absolute blast and managed to save a few bucks in the process which is always a plus! And the drinks!!! Wow - I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an incredible time!! I love the pictures of the town- they like they came straight from an old Western...minus the cars and what not. :P And that dress is so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely fun day. That dress is gorgeous - a perfect blend of classic and girly :) And prickly pear margarita? OMG! I've never even had a prickly pear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the dress!! i am a huge fan of ruffles...omg $200 shot!? what the heck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES TO THE DRESS!! and yes yes yes to the tacos!!
    k who knew scottsdale was THIS fabulous!! maybe its just the way you know how to have fun but this is exciting!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, being the blonde that I am, I totally forgot to update my google reader with your new site, and missed the whole moving to Arizona thing!! Lol. So first, congrats on JD's job! And I'm sure something will turn up for you soon, though subbing or grad school would both be fun too.

    Also, you are like, the 6th person I know who's moved to Arizona in the past year!! I went there once to visit my great aunt in Sun City, so it's just funny to see so many young people moving to what I thought was an old person state, haha. I always told Ben if we move to the states, I want to go out west, and your delicious food posts are sure helping that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like SO much fun!

    Isn't the Southwest grand?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in the Southwest, and I wear pants all year round anyway. I'm not much of a fan of wearing dresses!

    Those tacos look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. $200 shot, are you serious??? either that was a type-o, or one tasty tequila!

    yum, lookin' forward to the brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your excursion looks so awesome. If there's one alcohol I love - it's definitely tequila, and it's one of the only ones I actually enjoy taking a shot of (with salt and lime, please). I absolutely love the dress that you picked out - I agree with you, I'm much more of a skirt & dress than a pants to work kind of chica. Glad to hear you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it all! I heart Old Town so much and am bummed I never got to try The Sugar Bowl. I love Dos Gringos, Rimaldi's Pizza, Ra Sushi, Salty Senorita, The Good Egg, Martini Ranch Bar. I know you didn't ask but thought I would add my two cents anyways :)

    Ummm, next mission is to find me a sugar daddy who will buy me a $200 shot of tequila!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg that margarita looks amazing!! I love Cacti, I wish we had them in Dallas :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you see my ex boyfriend in Scottsdale, punch him in the face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hair looks so cute in that first picture with iSqueak Monique! I love batting cages, so fun. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new town.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I just say what a relief to discover an individual who genuinely knows what theyre talking about on a internet. You really know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. Much more individuals have to read this and realize this side with the story. I cant feel youre not far more well-liked simply because you really have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola, ЎUf, me gustу! Tan clara y positiva.
    Gracias

    [url=http://www.mvssstore.com/]DingoDogg[/url]

    ReplyDelete