After realizing that my knee's still not ready for running, I resorted to alternate workouts this week. My bike's been having some problems with tire inflation and gears, so I gave it a little check-up, tweaked some things and explored Gilbert's canal system yesterday.
Except, I had a little problem. I think every time I take my bike out I have a mishap. Remember when I took my bike for a run back in July??
I don't even think I've gone on an actual bike ride since July 2008, right before my sister's college graduation. I rode 15 miles from my parents' house in Alamo to my best friend's parents' house in Pleasanton. Except, I had an accident and wound up with some major road rash on my hand.
Yesterday I attempted a 7.0 mile ride in the middle of the day. However,, 3/4 of the way in, I was totally dehudrated and overheated. I felt like I was going to vomit. Before going any farther, I knew I had to call J.D., who luckily bailed me out (what a great boyfriend). He met me at a nearby gas station, bought me some Gatorade and turned up the AC in the car so I could cool down a bit. Then I pretty much walked my bike the final 2.5 miles home and passed out.
Maybe biking's not for me??
Or maybe it is....
After rolling out of bed at 6:30 this morning, I set out for a 1.5 hour bike ride that spanned 12 miles. I was ready for a COOL ride and packed a bag with water, Gatorade a Clif bar and some honey stinger chews. All of which I utilized during the 12 mile ride. Clearly, I am not even in biking shape. My legs killed me, I felt winded and I’m pretty sure my bike isn’t suitable for riding that far. It basically runs like a cruiser with 10 speeds. Maybe I’ll get more serious about this and save for a new bike when I have a job!
Until then, I can take my time having leisurely rides and snapping photos of horses, cows, ducks, turtles, carp, mountains and rodeos.
Post ride, I rocked a breakfast of home made raspberry scones with lemon curd and plain Greek yogurt with fruit, honey and walnuts. Oh yeah, and a soy mocha latte.
I haven’t only been exploring the desert canals. I’ve also been experiencing new restaurants and tapping back into my French roots! With all the hype surrounding the food world about food trucks, I did a search on Phoenix food trucks and found Torched Goodness, a crème brûlée truck!
Last weekend we sampled peanut butter crème brûlée, the creamiest dessert I think I’ve ever tasted! I HAVE to find this truck again in the near future.
That inspired a trip to a local market that carried specialty French foods. And guess what, we had a “picnic” French lunch!
The meal entailed a demi-baguette, French butter, brie, figs, Italian white wine sausage and Mediterranean olives.
Finally, there was Pastis, a European restaurant we stumbled upon during the NFL’s opening week. Originally we planned to grab some burgers and beers at a sports bar and grill, but it was sooo packed with football fans, there wasn’t anywhere to park. Continuing down the road, we found Pastis.
We had drinks…
…zucchini and taziki sauce…
…paella…

…and strawberry Nutella CRÊPES!
Oh it was heaven. I think I’m going to like exploring my new desert home. But for now, I’ve taped a few episodes of Glee. I didn’t watch it last year, but I think I might be hooked this year :)
What season premieres are you excited for?! (I can’t wait for Grey’s, Private Practice and How I Met Your Mother)













I need to hunt down some food trucks. For real.
ReplyDeleteGrey's Anatomy is one that I'm excited to watch. Along with How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Although they're moving Big Bang to Thursdays, which frustrates me because I'm not quite sure how I'm going to watch all my shows! Sounds like I'll have to do some catching up online...
I remember having a few bike rides like the first one you described- wanting to throw up and what not. One in particular my mom and I were riding around the science industrial park, she went walking and I took off on my bike. I was probably about 5 miles out and got really ill. And naturally neither of us had our cell phones. Not.fun.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen that food truck cooking show on the Food Network? I've only seen it a few times but it seems really cool! Who would have thought some of the best food could come from a truck?
I just got back from a vaca in Paris and crepes were by far the food highlight of the trip. Don't get me wrong, the cheese, wine and bread were great too... but the crepes are were it's at!
ReplyDeleteI am a huge Glee fan! All the song and dance! Such a delight!
As hard as it was to cough up $1000 for my road bike and gear, it was well worth it. I think having a good bike can really make a difference, especially if your gears arent in great shape. I also nearly died when I did a 10 mile ride my first time. It was terrible... I'm surprised that I stuck with it.
ReplyDeletePeanut butter creme brulee?!?!! AAAAAH! I honestly don't think I can read your blog anymore. It's pure torture! :D
ReplyDeleteYum yum yum!! Enjoy exploring :)
ReplyDeleteThe scones look great! You live in an interesting area. Think you'll get to check out a rodeo? LOL.
ReplyDeleteLoving the crepes here - there's nothing like finding an authentic European restaurant in my opinion. It totally breaks up the monotony! I really only watch one show consistently and that's Grey's Anatomy so I am terribly excited for the premiere!
ReplyDeleteWow, that zucchini and tzatziki sauce looks so good, I've never had a dish like that, but I think I definitely should because it looks so amazing :)
ReplyDeleteSorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.
ReplyDelete