Monday, January 3, 2011

Beer Cheese & Broccoli Soup: The perfect winter/TMJ dinner

As you may know by now, I have TMJ -- super intense jaw pain and clicking/cracking noises every time I eat, talk and sing. Basically, my jaw is popping out of the joint socket whenever I do any of the aforementioned actions. It's getting so painful, I can't really eat much. Though, it may be due to the frigid weather we've had in Arizona.

To say I've had a craving for soups lately, then, would be a gross understatement. Soup fits the bill as the perfect non-chewing, cold weather pick-me-up food. After my dental appointment this morning, J.D. found me the following recipe, for beer cheese soup from an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives that features Otto's Sausage Kitchen in Portland, Ore. I promised myself I wasn't going to drink for a looooong time after the New Year's Eve I had -- I'm sure you know the feeling -- but beer in soup was quite a surprise. It mixed well with the thick cheesy texture and the caramelized onions to create a flavor I wouldn't mind having again, even amidst the world's worst hangover!

With slight modification, I bring you Beer Cheese & Broccoli Soup:


beercheese4

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1 chopped medium sized yellow onion
  • 1/2 c chopped broccoli florets
  • 1/2 c chopped carrots
  • 1/2 c chopped celery
  • 1/3 c all-purpose flour (modified from original 1 c)
  • 2 c chicken broth
  • 1 (12-oz) beer of choice (we went with a Pilsner Urquell)
  • 7 oz extra-sharp shredded cheddar
  • 7 oz shredded Gruyère
  • 2 c half-and-half
  • 1/2 t garlic salt
  • 1/2 lb smoked sausage (J.D. had it in his soup bowl, I opted out)
Directions:

Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, broccoli, carrots and celery. Sautée until softened.

beercheese2


Add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth and beer.

beer-cheese1

Heat until it comes to a boil. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth.

beercheese7

Add half-and-half and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened.

beercheese6

beercheese5

Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan. Sautée sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to the soup, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.

13 comments:

  1. My favorite part was when you added the beer. I need to make this and then finish the six-pack. I like cooking with wine because it never needs the entire bottle and so I "have" to drink it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, when I saw this on twitter I was so hoping you'd post about it! Savoury, savoury heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go through obsessive phases with soup/stew. Right now it's not so much happening, but I have big plans to make a huge pot of chili again during this ridiculously cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by TANIA KOVALUK. TANIA KOVALUK said: www.ToothTime.ca Beer Cheese & Broccoli Soup: The perfect winter/TMJ dinner http://bit.ly/eMPd4f [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're definitely on the same brainwave. Last night we had a little fondue party with a kit a friend discovered in his apartment -- wine, cheese, flour, voila! We even had broccoli as one of the dippers. I wouldn't have thought to sub the wine for beer but now you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am obsessed with soup right now. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beer, cheese and soup?? Hooray! I cannot stand Guy Fieir but am forever watching that show and making a list of the places I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good thing about DDD (if you don't like Guy) is that the show mostly focuses on the owners/chefs of the various restaurants! I only catch it every now and then when it's on repeats, but I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so I am normally not attracted to cheesy soups - but this one looks AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot about beer and cheese soups and just have never tried them. This looks so yummy! And WARM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, I love broccoli cheese soup. This recipe looks healthier than the one I have!

    Such a bummer about your TMJ, you're probably right about the cold weather making it worse. I hope it warms up and you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete