I'm stoked out of my mind that we'll be hosting the 2011 All-Star game, and also, that I'll get to attend/work it!
The field (my new office). A pretty imposing building, if you ask me!
We walked around inside and I used my employee discount to purchase clothing with D-backs logos. Yep, I have to wear official merchandise for all the games, but at least I get a discount I guess. As you can imagine, all that running around made us pretty hungry. Out of impulse, we decided it would be kind of fun to do a Valentine's lunch instead of dinner, especially since we hadn't really made any plans or reservations. Instead, a recent episode of Man v. Food inspired our lunch in downtown Phoenix.
I guess I should back up and explain that downtown Phoenix is basically all the sporting venues (NBA, MLB) and a healthy mix of bars to accommodate the rowdy sports enthusiasts. We knew we HAD to try Alice Cooper's restaurant, Cooper'stown. I hope you recognize the pun within the name. What we really came for was in the episode of MVF I linked above. The Big Unit -- a 22" hot dog made to honor former D-back, future MLB hall of famer and generally gigantic man, Randy Johnson, whose nickname is the Big Unit.
We each enjoyed our food with some beers on tap and took in the environment, which was sort of a mix of the Hard Rock Café and a well-packed sports bar. It was awesome! I imagine it's quite an untraditional place to celebrate Valentine's Day, but we were hardly the only ones there. And nothing says love like a 22" wiener! When we returned home, I was surprised to find these:
We ended the night by grocery shopping, where I found some key ingredients to inspire this morning's breakfast, the Blueberry Coconut Green Smoothie. I'll have you know that until this morning my green smoothies never actually turned out green. What a way to transition out of Valentine's Day and into preparations for the next holiday in March...
Blueberry Coconut Green Smoothie:
- 1 c spinach
- 1 c Silk coconut milk
- 1 banana
- 2 handfuls blueberries
- 1/2 t chia seeds
In my next post, I promise I'll show you what I did with this...










Ahhh! That dog is HILARIOUS! *giggle*
ReplyDeleteOh, how I wish we had coconut milk like that in Australia! I've occasionally been splurging on canned coconut milk in my smoothies, but it's really very rich that way!
haha yeah we joked about the Big Unit before going there. I didn’t think he was actually going to get it haha :) And I’ve tried canned coconut milk in smoothies before too, it’s more watery so not quite the same taste.
ReplyDeleteGreat pics.. Lovely..
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, that is THE BIGGEST hotdog I have ever seen in my entire life! WOW! I know my husband would flip if he saw it. We love watching Man vs Food and have tried a couple of the challenges when we've been in cities he's gone to. Ah, good times.
ReplyDeleteI love green monster smoothies, by the way. Yours looks delish!
Beautiful flowers. :)
Oh my god that hot dog is epic. The saddest slash most awesome thing about it is that i'm pretty positive that I could eat it.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm sitting here regretting I never went to Cooperstown. I want a weiner like that!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had some Valentines day fun! I don't even eat meat, and my mouth is actually watering at pictures of that hot dog! It's massive! The one and only baseball game I've ever seen was actually at the Diamondbacks stadium! It was fun, and I ate lots of peanuts!
ReplyDeleteOh my god. A 22″ hot dog. And he ordered it. That's just freakin' awesome. The Big Unit. haha. I'm totally sending this post to my boyfriend. He will want to fly there and take on that challenge.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful flowers!! Lucky girl!
That hot dog is hilarious! I wonder if there's a vegan hot dog that big anywhere, I'd love to meet it. ;)
ReplyDeleteAlso, that smoothie sounds so tropical! I can imagine it with some pineapple and banana. Or mango. Mmmm... :)
OMG! That is the longest dog ever! It would have been cool to get a shot of Woodstock next to it! :)
ReplyDelete