Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 6: Home made peanut butter

I use peanut butter in a variety of ways. Over the next few weeks, I think I'm going to be posting a few of the applications I've had for peanut butter. But before we get to that, I need some peanut butter! Instead of buying some from the store (let's face it, I've got a million containers of the stuff already), I decided I would try to make it myself for the first time ever!

photo-92

It's actually very simple. I googled TONS of recipes and decided just to wing it and add a little bit of oil at a time until I got the right consistency. I started by roasting 2 cups of shelled peanuts at 350ยบ for about 12 minutes.

photo-2

Next I ground a fourth of the peanuts, so one half cup into the food processor.

photo-3

After the peanuts were still somewhat chunky (I do not like creamy peanut butter!!!), I added 1 teaspoon of almond oil and pulsed some more in my processor. Note: Almond oil was all I could find in non-Costco-sized-quantities at the grocery store. And I couldn't taste the difference! You could use peanut oil if you had access to it, and I've even heard olive oil will work just as well. I'm kind of skeptical about that, but it's always an option.

photo-6

Another side note: everything I found said to pulse half the peanuts and add half the oil, then repeat. However, my cheap processor couldn't really handle that. The second time around I did all the dry ingredients first, then added all the wet. I also put in one tablespoon of honey, along with two more teaspoons of the almond oil in addition to the remaining half cup of peanuts. So here's the final tally = 1 c peanuts, 3 t almond oil and 1 T honey... pulse til blended at desired consistency.

photo-95

As you can see, I had two one-cup containers so I decided to get a little crazy! In addition to honey peanut butter, I also made coconut peanut butter. Same exact recipe as before, plus one cup of coconut flakes and I added an extra teaspoon of oil to go with the extra cup of dry ingredients (1 c peanuts, 1 c coconut flakes, 4 t almond oil and 1 T honey).

photo-9

The verdict?! I love them both! I can't wait to get creative and experiment with other flavors, textures, etc. If you have any tips for me, let me know!! :)

photo-95

Now that I have two cups of homemade peanut butter, be on the lookout for more peanut butter-laden recipes to come on this blog in the next few weeks!

10 comments:

  1. I am so envious. I've had good luck with makign macadamia butter and walnut butter, but today spent 45minutes processng coconut in an attempt to make coconut butter and when it didn't work I threw the whole thing out... which I feel stupid about now, because I could've just used it as a coconut "soil" for garnishing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that's so cool Monique! I must try this eventually. Coconut would have been my first flavor combo too, great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making peanut sauce and all the yummy things you can dip in it! Can't wait to see how you use up your homemade PB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the many reasons why I want a food processor! lol

    I think coconut in the peanut butter would be fantastic. I often use both in my oatmeal- fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, I haven't made my own peanut butter, but I have bought the freshly ground version from the store. Sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even like peanut butter but this looks damn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! What a fun project to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont know how the taste will be ??

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] blogged over 500 entries since graduating from college. You’ll remember that last week I whipped up two batches of home made peanut butter and this week I put it to good use making chocolate peanut butter truffles! Well, the peanut butter [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] notice I finished off the last of my home made peanut butter. Don’t worry, I can always make [...]

    ReplyDelete