Sunday, April 10, 2011

Week 14: Read a book in a day!

Every week in 2011, for 52-straight weeks, I hope to try something new and blog about it here. This is the 14th post in the series, when I read a book in a single day. Here you will find a list of all my weekly adventures thus far.

I wrote out a list of at least 60 goals I wanted to accomplish by the end of the year when I started my "resolution" this year. One of the more recent additions has been to read a book in a week. Technically, that's not something new to me. I used to read all the time in high school and college. My friends from home joke about how I used to make up excuses about my parents grounding me or making me do chores so that I could stay in at night and read my newest book.

(Yeah, I was am a huge nerd.) But ever since I graduated and have been working in sports, I haven't been able to find much time to read for fun. That all changed this past week...

I have become the go-to substitute teacher for P.E., French, journalism/yearbook in the school district I work for. All those teachers have my cell phone number and call me in advance to schedule me for assignments. Well on Tuesday (the day before my birthday!), I showed up to fill in for a P.E. teacher I subbed for in the past. I was ready to go, in my athletic attire, before realizing it was Day 1 of state testing.

Crap, that meant I had to sit in the cafeteria and monitor students who took their standardized tests for three-and-a-half hours! Silly me, thinking I was going to teach a P.E. class and play basketball. Usually I bring a book with me to sub, but the last time I taught P.E. it wasn't necessary... I was stranded for three hours with nothing to do!!

Enter the wonderful girls P.E. teacher who saved me! She had a book a friend told her to read in her purse and spared me. I've heard a lot about the Stephanie Plum series but never got around to reading it before.

It was RIVETING! I literally couldn't put it down. Granted, I'm a sucker for mystery-type books ever since taking a Detective Fiction class my sophomore year at UCSB. Well, I got through about 75 percent of the book at school and needed to know how it ended! I couldn't wait, so when the final bell rang I went to Borders, bought a latte and finished the book in less than 45 minutes. Holy cow, I haven't read like that since college. I need to get back at it. Long story short, it's a good thing I finally got around to this book because it's going to be a movie starring Katherine Heigl, set to release in January 2012. Maybe this means I'll add the other 16 books in the series to my to-read list!

One of my goals for the year -- and I feel that this is a very conservative figure -- is to finish 15 books by the end of the year. To get my feet wet and dive back into reading. Another weekly goal I set for myself this year is to read two books in a week. Let's see if I can be that ambitious given my crazy schedule this year.

Read as much as I do? Or do you want to read a lot? Then be my friend on Goodreads and let's compare books! :)

Last, but not least, I've decided not to self-host my blog any longer. It's an expense I don't need in my budget at the moment. Eventually this blog will cease to exist because I am not paying the fee to renew my site in 2011. While I've liked Wordpress, I can't stand the photo limit imposed by the site. So back to Blogger I go! Here is my new site for the future (it's still a work in progress).

5 comments:

  1. All sorts of crazy! I love to read but I don't know that I've ever read a book in a day. I get antsy from sitting so long haha. Go you! My mom has read all of these books and she doesn't even like reading so I have always wondered about them.
    I GoodReads-friended you! I love that site!!
    I will check in on THIS blog from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Janet Evanovich! I think I’ve read 14 of them – they were my escape during uni, because they’re so incredibly fun, light, and quick to read. I found it’s best to space them out, though, ro they can become a bit same-y :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this goal! I’m a huge book nerd and once I start a book, I can’t stop!! I’ve not read this series…I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I love a good book. In fact, I love a good book so much that I’d rather reread it than waste my time reading a mediocre book. I discovered this recently when I reread a favorite series instead of tackling the stack of unread books that I borrowed from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading! Though I haven’t done that much recreational reading since high school. I’ve got three books on my beside table I’m trying to work through! My goal is to read all the Harry Potter books before the last movie comes out. I really need to get on it. I’m only on the second book!

    ReplyDelete