Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 22: First Friday Phoenix

Every week in 2011, for 52-straight weeks, I hope to try something new and blog about it here. This is the 22nd week of the year, when I had my first food truck meal! Here you can find a list of all my weekly adventures in 2011.

All week long I was looking forward to Food Truck Friday in Downtown Phoenix. One day I randomly stumbled across @PHXStreetFood on Twitter and have been reading about all the awesome food trucks around the area. However, there was one small problem. I failed to notice that Food Truck Fridays only takes place at lunch and not dinner!

But tonight I got lucky (don’t be gross, I’m talking about eventually stumbling across the food trucks). It just so happens that they all meet up downtown on the first Friday of each month! So I picked up J.D. from work at 5 p.m. and we headed over to the meeting area (thank you, Twitter) in Roosevelt Row. While it was small scene, it sure hit the spot!

photo 5 (4) 

In attendance were a Cajun truck, grilled sandwiches and BBQ truck, Asian fusion truck and the best for last: ice cream truck! In the past we’ve found a creme brulee truck, but I can honestly say I’ve never had a full meal from a food truck until this evening.

Let me back up a bit… we arrived early while everyone was still setting up and decided to take a walk around the area first. It’s a very trendy, hippie co-op type of place. In fact, we found such a market and wine bar. We would have ordered wine or beer in a bottle, but instead I went with some mango kombucha – quite the change of heart – to have with the food later. We explored the streets and found some neat bars before heading back to the trucks. Coincidentally enough, there was also a little street festival going on as well.

P6032523

As the sun set, we found a shady table and ate our dinners. The catfish/andouille bowl and fried pickles (from the Jamburritos Cajun truck) for J.D. and a coconut curry chicken burrito with a cucumber raita sauce  and jasmine rice for me (from the Sunshine & Spice Asian fusion truck).

P6032518

P6032517 

P6032522

We both agreed how AMAZING everything tasted! I was very surprised, and sufficiently full. Except, if you know me you know that I couldn’t pass up on ice cream. Instead, the street festival started gaining steam really quickly. Basically, as soon as the sun set Phoenix’s finest came out to play. I felt like I was at a rave, with people dressed up in the craziest costumes and outfits roaming the blocked-off streets. It was kind of like being at an emo/hipster/goth/hippie party. If you can imagine that.

So I did a little research online. Turns out First Fridays are actually for all the local artists and musicians! All the art galleries and exhibitions downtown were free to the public and open very late hours.

First Friday is organized by Artlink, a nonprofit organization “...dedicated to bringing together artists, the public, and businesses for a greater understanding, appreciation, and promotion of the arts and the development of a strong and vital downtown Phoenix arts community.”

Basically this was an open-door urban jungle. And it was so rad. I really don’t know what to say about it, so I’ll let my meager offering of pictures try to do it for me :)

P6032526

P6032527  

P6032531

photo 2 (2)

photo 1 (3)

photo 4 (4)

photo 3 (4)

Fun times, right?! Wrong. The night was incomplete until I had my coveted ice cream!!! And then it was a solid night :) I tried the basil lime sorbet from Sweet Republic. It was light and refreshing and amazingly packed a punch of basil. I can’t explain how good it really was :) I’m glad I opted for that instead of the mango margarita sorbet or salted butter caramel swirl ice cream... flavors for another time! Trust me, there’ll be another time. Just like the three times we’ve sought out the creme brulee truck at farmer’s markets.

photo 1 (4)

photo 2 (3)

Like I said, I really don’t know what I can say about this. It was amazingly fun and the food trucks were SOGOOD!!! I was way bummed when I moved to Arizona because gourmet food trucks were starting to get huge in the San Francisco area where I used to live. Unfortunately I was never able to visit the food truck rallies before moving. But now, the void in my life has been filled. Phoenix has a very large and active food truck community. This was merely the tip of the iceberg :) So glad we decided to splurge on a meal out and do this! If you have food trucks nearby and haven’t gone yet, YOU MUST!

No comments:

Post a Comment