Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eat everything with a spoon

I did just that today. Let's start off with my best of intentions this morning. I woke up after not having slept all night again, it's really not as fun as it sounds ;) Chest and throat sore from my late-night cough fest, all I wanted was something warm and yummy for breakfast.



Good old fashioned oats (haha, get it, that's what the label on my container actually says... ). I was extra nice to myself and drizzled it with a little maple syrup over the half banana, strawberries, flax seeds, omega 3 trek mix and cinnamon. And oh yeah, we were low on spoons, so I had to use a frozen yogurt spoon. Good thing I keep a stash of those in my utensil draw. Does that mean I go too often.... or does it mean I also have a habit of "collecting" plastic spoons in cases of emergency such as this....? You'll never know.


Hey guys, want to take a guess as to what I drank with my breakfast?!?



Another selection from my box 'o tea. I almost went for chai this morning. Almost ;)


Well then I showed up to work fashionably late at an appropriate time for someone of my health, and not even 30 minutes into my day did my boss send me home to rest up. So rest I did.


I first rested by doing the dishes. Then sweeping the entire downstairs. Then vacuuming all the baseboards and cleaning spiderwebs. I'm glad I got to stay home today because I also got to bond with the other sick member of the house. Woodstock's been doing great; he did the cutest thing EVER today. I heard him attempt his first big boy howl. Or, whatever noise it was a 10 lb. puppy produces in hopes of howling. I freaked out and thought he was hurt, but it turns out he just couldn't find his toy. That nasty cone keeps getting in his way ;)



Then my hunger got the best of me. So I heated up some of last night's leftovers. Are you surprised I even had any extra orange chicken to spare?!?!



My usual trio of meal, drink and Rx. Today, I was determined. And due to my stubborn nature, I successfully used the chopsticks with this meal. Take that...... meal?


When I finished, I laid on the couch to watch another episode of Rick Steves' Europe travel videos saved on my DVR. Does that make me a nerd?!!? If it does, I don't care. It was on France's Côte d'Azur and then I watched a second on Provence. Both areas I'm VERY familiar with, after living in Antibes (in the Côte d'Azur) for the better part of a year. Oh yeah, my 101 year old great aunt lives in Provence, so I had a lot of chances to go over there!



Me and Yvonne, my great aunt from France!



And this is where I used to spend a TOOOOON of time when I worked/lived in Antibes! It's a view of La Baie des Anges, which stretches all the way down to Nice, as seen across the water. This picture was taken in October. Ahhh, the good life :) I would certainly like to go back there again.


Well, coming back to reality after that trip down memory lane, I barely got through the second travel show before I realized I'd slept for nearly three hours. Apparently I conked out. And I had an empty carton of ice cream in front of me ;) Don't worry, there wasn't even a bowl left I just wanted to do my part and help clean out the freezer. Or, soothe my throat, whichever you choose to believe!


When J.D. came back home we nixed our original plan to make game hens. Instead, I craved something odd. Soup and pizza! Being the sweet guy that he is, J.D. drove to Little Caesar's to pick up a $5 pizza while I heated up a bowl of Progresso's tomato basil soup. Except, I hate this soup!!! I tried it once and found it waaaay too sweet for my liking. Alterations were in order, so in went some Tuscan herb blend and for some more flavor, a few pepper flakes. Oh and some fresh basil. Muuuuch better. I'm a firm believer in modifying canned soups.



As per usual, I needed some dessert. I bring you Monique's twist on frozen yogurt:



Literally, it's yogurt, frozen. I put it in the freezer for about an hour then topped it with dark chocolate almond spread and some fun, purple sprinkles. It's not exactly like frozen yogurt, but pretty darn close! And chocolate always seems to make everything better ;)


Before I go I wanted to let you guys all know something. I'm moving my site to a new domain name!! So update your bookmarks/readers/other means of stalking me to http://www.shesgoingdistance.com I plan on blogging solely from there now. Still have some work to do on the site, so bear with me! Also, thank you all SO MUCH for all your well-wishes yesterday!! It made me feel so loved :) You guys are awesome.


Question: What's your favorite nerdy thing to watch on TV when you're in veg mode?? Since you already know mine, I'll tell you something else super nerdy. I subscribe to iTunesU podcasts. Like listening to university lectures about French lit, or American lit, German grammar lessons, astronomy, religious studies, you name it. I think it's important to keep educating yourself even after college.


14 comments:

  1. I am all about ItunesU podcasts too...I am addicted. Your pictures were so beautiful...what a lovely aunt you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! That was about two years ago and at that point, she was still walking around on her own, telling stories/jokes and singing. It's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we had the travel channel or food network in Australia, it would definitely be that!

    Really sorry to hear you're still under the weather, but at least it didn't keep you from your frozen yogurt love! It's the little things in life, right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to work there too! It looks so pretty!! Feel better!! - Vicky @vdubb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tea sounds wonderful... but decaf? I have no idea how you start your day with that... lol. Apparently this weekend I just need to work on catching up on sleep! :)

    Have a good Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also a big a canned soup modifier! Tastes so much better when you add a little bit to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch the History Channel a lot. I watch it a lot anyway. My nerdom doesn't stop.

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have now opened up a conversation between the bf and I about these lectures. He knew about them, I didn't. Now we are exploring the catalog of them. You may have created a monster! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I never think to put my yogurt in the freezer. What a great idea! I love the idea of eating everything with a spoon for a day (but I wish it wasn't because you are still sick). Woodstock = my BFF in that cone. Loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally thought you were Bobbi at first, then I was like, hmm that doesn't sound like her. oh it's mo. hahahaha

    I like cheesy teenybopper movies and tv shows. And I'm getting Planet Earth & Blue Planet, Seas of Life on dvd. Soooo stoked for that! I used to love food network during veg time tho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's so sad in his cone!!! :) only one more week then he gets to run free again... Well, sort of.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I JUST tried freezing my yogurt containers after your suggestion on my blog (at least, I'm pretty sure it was yours..)...and it was FABULOUS! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this reminds me of canada day since maple syrup is involved.. and 'real' maple syrup.. not just the regular stuff WOO!

    i always feel sad for dogs wearing those cones.. those poor little pups- must be so awful for them lol. and if they had a mirror to look at, they might be a little embarrased too right! lol haha <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I HATED that soup too...never tried dressing it up, though!

    Too many frozen yogurt spoons? We'd get along great! :)

    ReplyDelete