Thursday, January 13, 2011

Exploring the Nation's Capital, Part 2

In case you missed it, here's the recap from my first two days in D.C.: Part 1

Saturday, Jan. 8: When we came back from the bar on Friday night, Michelle told me it was starting to snow! The forecast predicted snow for about half of my trip and I was ecstatic to wake up to a very small dusting of snow and frost on Saturday morning. However, it didn't last long. In fact, it melted as soon as the sun came out pretty early in the day.

Michelle and I decided to go explore some more museums on Saturday, because we had big group plans for Sarah's birthday night. First up, in what turned out to be my only trip to the Mall the entire weekend, we headed out to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. I had memories of going there with my dad when I was 13, stopping at ever single exhibit, reading every single piece of information and watching movie after movie on aviation history and war aircrafts. Blahhhhh.

Capitol

We had other plans! Michelle found out that the "guy who killed Pluto" (the planet of my youth, honest what good is the mnemonic "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies" mean without Pluto?!?!), was going to be talking at the Air & Space Museum that afternoon. Being the astronomy geek that I am, I didn't need to be told twice. Except, to our dismay, he was just signing books for two hours. How lame! And I was not about to spend what little money I had funding the guy who killed the dwarf planet!! We went exploring instead and pretty much stayed in the space portion of the museum.

P1082234

You can't just cover up my childhood with a big black square!!

Air and Space 3

Next we were off the Newseum since Michelle picked up two for one admission on Groupon. I'd never been and if you know me, you know that I'm a big news/journalism geek. So onward. (Noticing a theme here?)

The museum was unlike anything I have ever seen. It was super poignant and emotional. We were actually starting at the top, sixth floor, looking at an overwhelming exhibit on Hurricane Katrina in the news and its aftermath, when I received a text about the shooting rampage in my own state... The irony was the exhibit was about how instantly we can access news now with the Internet and cell phones. I definitely teared up right there on the spot.

The entire museum was a mix of fascinating, terrifying, emotional and basically mind-blowing exhibits to me. I loved every second of it and would definitely go back again, or recommend anyone to go see it who hasn't yet!!!

Newseum Elvis 2

Exhibit honoring Elvis' 75th birthday

Newseum Berlin Wall 2

Largest intact section of the Berlin Wall

Newseum Sports Photos3

Sports journalism exhibit

Newseum WTC3

The media antenna from the collapsed World Trade Center and a three-story wall of front pages from newspapers around the world

After the surreal and somber experience of the Newseum, we headed back home after it closed -- spending close to three hours there. We got ready for Michelle's roommate's sister's birthday (Sarah, as I've mentioned before) and headed off toward an awesome restaurant in Georgetown called Thunder Burger & Bar. Touted as an edgy, rock & roll restaurant, I literally got the vibe that I was dining in Wonderland. Maybe this'll help shape your opinions on the matter...

(Source)

Thunder Burger and Bar

I tried to get a good shot of the menu, but again, it was dark and edgy. The grass on the walls really made me feel like I was in a completely different world. I even joked to someone that when my beer came out, I half expected it to have a tag that said "Drink Me."

(Source)

To boot, I was insanely excited about every song they played on the speakers. Bush, Killers, 30 Seconds to Mars, and more pretty good tracks I generally listen to every day. When it came time to decide, I made an absolute game-time decision and decided to go for the "Rock the Casbah" burger (House Made Falafel Burger, Topped With Diced Onions, Tomatoes & Herbed Cucumber Yogurt Sauce) over the "Learning to Fly Burger" (Herbed Ground Turkey Burger, Topped With Swiss Cheese, Avocado, & Granny Smith Apples). Neither it, not the seasoned fries, nor the winter citrus beer, disappointed.

I was pleasantly full and enjoying good conversation meeting new people as we went on to our next stop: Mr. Smith's of Georgetown. Another first for me -- I'd never been to a piano bar before! While crazy busy, Mr. Smith's had the beer of the month club for $3. Basically everyone in there was clutching $3 (decent) bottles of beer and singing raucously to the banging of the keys and the Irish-sounding singer. Unhappy with being squeezed into a small area in the back, I took initiative and scribbled down on a Post-It note that we were here with a birthday girl! And thus, the entire bar burst into the Birthday Song to Sarah. It was pretty entertaining. Later, I got him to play one of my fav songs, "Your Love" by the Outfield.



It was a really, really amazing experience (the crappy iPhone video does it zero justice). I'd totally go to a piano bar again, provided I was with a large group of people! And that's saying a lot, seeing as how again I did not have a single drop to drink at the bar. Ok, that's a lie, I tried a sip of the $3. That's how I made my informed opinion that it was decent beer ;) We eventually closed out the night in the back dining area, listening to a group of guys tell joke after joke after joke.

P1082241

I am totally jealous of all the amazing things to do in D.C.!!! Stay tuned for the final recap in my next post.

8 comments:

  1. Very very sad that you came to my city and we didnt have a chance to meet!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls look like you had a great time! What a great pic!

    I have never been to DC...everyone always says how wonderful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right! You stand up for poor old Pluto! :D I remember going to Graceland in 2008, and by heavens.... Elvis really had more jumpsuits than anyone could ever want or need...

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] you can check out this related blog post: http://www.shesgoingdistance.com/?p=1691 Posted in Uncategorized [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. the air and space museum is my absolute favorite place in DC!!! I remember going there when I was much younger and just being fascinated. Next time I get to DC I might go there first thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to DC in years but I am glad you like it. Perhaps you can make a move to the East Coast?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I plan on visiting DC for the first time and you are giving me some great ideas. And seriously, boo on the guy who killed pluto. My very eager mother just served us nine pickles, was the ditty I learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] In case you missed it, here are the other two parts: Part 1 | Part 2 [...]

    ReplyDelete