Friday, July 15, 2011

French Friday: Crustless Quiche

Eiffel FF

I’ve been a terrible Frenchie lately. I mean, yesterday was Bastille Day (the equivalent of Independence Day here in the U.S., just, a celebration of royal heads rolling through the streets of Paris…) and I drank GERMAN wine with dinner.

I haven’t even been watching much of the Tour de France… but I did root for France in the Women’s World Cup semi-final match against the United States. And I did make kir a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, and I made a quiche.

Quiche (3)

So at least I’ve got something going for me with regards to my Frenchness.

Crustless Shrimp, Spinach & Asparagus Quiche

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 10-15 asparagus spears
  • 2 c spinach, rough chopped
  • 2 T cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/2  T rosemary, finely chopped
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 2 T milk
  • 1/2 c parmesan cheese , shredded
  • 8 T sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt again)
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 6 oz shrimp , cooked
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 350. Spray pie plate with cooking spray.

Heat skillet over medium heat with oil. Saute onion and asparagus and 5 – 8 minutes until tender. Whip eggs and milk in mixing bowl.

Layer onion, asparagus, shrimp, parsley, thyme, spinach and cheese in pie plate. Pour egg mixture over the top, pressing the spinach down into the egg mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 – 30 minutes until set.

Top with chopped tomatoes and Greek yogurt for each serving.

Quiche (9)

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of full-fat creams, cheeses and buttery crusts. On special occasions, generally, but not in my daily cooking.

So this was perfect! It was super easy, didn’t require an intricate crust and is fairly healthy. I ate it everyday for almost a week and never got bored of my quiche.

Oh and I even consumed a bottle of red, FRENCH wine with each of my quichey meals. Take that, German Gewürztraminer!

Since I’m not intimidated by quiche-making, you shouldn’t be either! This is a very simple French meal anyone can make at home. Might as well make it and catch the final eight stages of the Tour de France (aired on tape delay on Versus). My favorite scene is always the cyclists pushing through the final stage on the Champs-Élysées:

PARIS  1.JPG

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment