Saturday, July 9, 2011

Week 27: Spend money on myself

Every week in 2011, for 52-straight weeks, I hope to try something new and blog about it here. This is the 27th post in the series, when I finally bought nice makeup and learned how to use it. Here you can find a list of all my weekly adventures thus far.

I have been insanely busy over the past week and a half with work. Things will finally slow down later next week, but until then I’m only going to post once this week. I’ll give you a hint at the end of this entry with the major event that’s been taking over my life :)

So let’s get into this week’s new thing. For the longest time I’ve wanted to buy MAC makeup. Everyone I know uses and loves it! I’ve only really ever bought makeup at Target/Wal-Mart, and I haven’t really been spending much time on myself in the morning. Usually I’ll take a shower at night, straighten my hair in the morning, throw on a little bit of makeup and then I’m out the door.

Originally I had every intention of buying some MAC this year… but it’s still a bit out of my price range (I have been searching for full-time employment for when my D-backs job finishes up in October). In lieu of MAC, I made my first trip to our local Sephora earlier this week and browsed.

photo

For the first time in my life, really, I caved and bought nice makeup! And I’ve discovered a new way to use it.

First I’ll show you the goods, then the tutorial video will follow.

photo 4 (1)

I needed a new liquid eyeliner and decided to go with the glittery black. I’ve never used an eyeliner on my lower lid before, so I bought a black smudge pencil. As inspiration from the tutorial video (which I will post below), I decided to also buy my first-ever eyeshadow palette. You’ll see why in a bit. Last but not least, some glittery bronzer. Sensing a theme here?

photo 2

I’ve only had this palette for two days, but I’m already in love! It’s weird how since buying it, I’m totally motivated to spend a few extra minutes on myself each morning. It’s even inspired me to open up my lipgloss box for the first time in months, if not a year.

So what could possibly have sparked this desire to finally spend money on some nice makeup?!

…Would you be surprised if I said Katy Perry?! haha, didn’t think so.

katy-perry-800

hqdefault

One of my favorite things about Katy Perry is her sense of style. She totally reminds me of a pin-up model from the 40s/50s. And this is one of my favorite music videos of her. Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of The Notebook? I’m pretty sure that was the goal here.

katy-perry-vanity-fair-cover



Here is the tutorial I found on how to achieve Katy Perry’s look from the music video Thinking of You:



And now I leave you with a hint as to why I’ve been so busy this week

fanfest

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment