Sunday, May 22, 2011

Birthday Bacon Cupcakes

Yes, you heard that right.

For my bf’s birthday on Monday, one of my friends joked I should take him to Denny’s for their bacon-fest. They even have bacon sundaes. She wasn’t joking – she knows how much that boy loves bacon.

Well, instead we had plans to go to Fogo de Chão, but I figured I’d finally attempt cooking dessert with bacon. Yes, I’m late to the party. If we’re being honest though, I never would have even considered making these if I hadn’t tasted the bacon French toast cupcakes with maple frosting my sister made for Easter. They were good, and I can’t believe I’m admitting that. So the scary factor of throwing bacon in cupcakes was gone. I rolled up my sleeves and knocked out a few of these babies:

IMG_3673

Peanut Butter Bacon Cupcakes with Peanut Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 package bacon
  • 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/8 cup bacon grease
  • 1/8 stick of butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 package yellow cake mix
  • 1/3 cup water

Directions:

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/8 cup bacon grease and set aside to cool. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Chop the bacon.

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Beat the crunchy peanut butter, bacon grease and butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the peanut butter mixture before adding the next. Pour in the cake mix alternately with the water, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in 2/3 of the chopped bacon (saving the rest to top the cupcakes after frosting); mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into prepared cupcake pan, about 2/3 full.

Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

Frosting Ingredients:

  • 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 c peanut butter (if piping, learn from my mistake: use creamy and not crunchy so you don’t clog it up)
  • 1 c powdered sugar

Directions:

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Frost cupcakes once cupcakes are completely cooled.

Then, top with bacon! Confession: I topped mine with bacon before baking, so they looked like little muffins. Not only is there bacon inside, but also on top of the cupcakes AND atop the frosting!

IMG_3662

IMG_3665

And enjoyed them with Cupcake wine… silly I know. But I’d do it again. If only I had more of that wine…

IMG_3669

Tant pis. Oh well. Off to watch the French Open am I! And I also should start packing and/or cleaning my house. We’re driving back to California for Memorial Day Weekend in THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment