Since jumping into my 52 new things in 2011, my 101 goals in 1,001 days have kind of fallen by the wayside. Well, my initial aim was to knock a few out at the same time (since I am halfway through with 52 percent of my goals completed). This week I checked off going on a picnic!
Lately I’ve been really assessing my financial situation (my four jobs dropped down to one now that the academic/collegiate sports year has come to an end) and J.D. and I have been trying to think of ways to entertain ourselves without spending money. We’re only going to go out to eat once a month. I’m also going to limit my alcohol consumption because that’s not an expense I need right now.
But I’ve gotten ahead of myself. The first thing we decided to do that would be fun and cheap free was a picnic in our town! There is a huge park nearby that has two lakes and sounded like the perfect place.
How cute is that?!
We walked around the lake before picking a free spot and noticed the wedding, prom, birthday and graduation parties going on. One even had a DJ all the way across the lake BLASTING Katy Perry. Score :) We laid out my A’s blanket, some napkin placemats and then took out the goodies and soaked up the remaining rays of sunlight.
They consisted of grapefruit flavored water, carrots, pasta and spinach salad, BLTT (with turkey and provolone), the last remaining oranges from our backyard and Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies! It was so much fun sitting there on the lake, being outside and watching the day pass by.
This family near us started feeding some ducks bread crumbs and what seemed like out of nowhere birds flocked to the scene. Even a small family of ducklings following their mother’s lead!
They were adorableeeeeeee!!!! Note that I’m talking about the ducks and NOT the children, haha. And this doesn’t even begin to show how many ducks and birds were on the lake, by any means.
After dinner, we walked around and I snapped some more pictures of the park. Apparently they do outdoor yoga and free, to cheaply-priced movies every now and then too. There is also an amusement park with rides and a janky little roller coaster for kids, softball fields, outdoor basketball and volleyball courts and ample field space for playing soccer. Or what we decided to do – before being devoured by bugs – playing catch! I haven’t broken out my softball glove in a looooong time, and it was a good night for playing catch. Until the sun set and I could no longer locate the ball once we switched from softball to baseball.
I’ll leave you now with some more pictures from the park :) Stay tuned for more free fun! It’s hard trying to come up with ideas, but really worth it. And my bank account thanks me!
No comments:
Post a Comment