Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guess not.

This really is the trip that won't end. Not in a good way, however.

Our flight from Omaha to Denver ended up boarding at 9:15 p.m. -- over TWO HOURS after our originally-scheduled departure. Luckily for us, the flight from Denver to San Francisco had also been delayed. Except, not. As soon as we touched down into Denver we ran off the plane, having been told we'd still make our connection. But when we got to the gate, the plane was ready to go, if not for the fact that the flight had been canceled. United apparently automatically rescheduled us for the 7:45 a.m. flight out of Denver. We ran trying desperately to find United's last flight to California and there was a 10 p.m. flight to Sacramento...... that just left as we reached the gate. We were screwed.

Apparently everyone and their mom has been delayed near this airport, so all the hotels within a 5-mile radius were booked to the brim. United notified us that we had to pay for any further accommodations at our own expense since all the delays and cancellations were due to a tornado watch that shut down the entire Chicago airport. Are you kidding me?!?! Weather requires us to pay for our own hotel/shuttle/taxi????

Long story short, with no hotels available, we overnighted it at the airport. It was still is probably the most painful thing I've ever done. Yeah we saved $100 or so, but we're both exhausted and sore and utterly run down. Sometimes I really hate traveling.


We looked kind of like this, but with more drool.

(Source)

Honestly though, I'd much rather stay in the sketchy hostels we camped at in Europe. And, well, speaking of worldwide travel, check out this article I ran across at 3 a.m. while tossing and turning on an airport bench:

It happens to me every time I travel overseas. I talk with people who hear about where I’m going, and they always say the same thing: “That sounds amazing! I wish I could do that.”

My reply is always the same: “What’s keeping you from it?”

I’m not being judgmental; I’m just trying to figure out what people’s motivations and priorities are. There really could be a good reason why someone doesn’t travel much, but the responses I hear back is usually variations of these answers...

Intrigued? You can read the entire article here. I think I might start reading more of this guy's writings.

As I write this the sun is rising -- can't tell you the last time I saw that -- so I'm going to briefly enjoy it and simultaneously forgot how beat I am right now. And then I'm going to venture down the gate to Pour la France, a French bistro and bar. A little espresso and a croissant sounds magnifique right about now. Plane boards at 7:05 a.m. Mountain Time. I hope to be back home in the early afternoon. Then crashing for several hours.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh what a PAIN!! I am sorry this trip has been a disaster getting home for you.

    I will check his article, but I already know what is keeping me from it, money & time off from work LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I updated your blog in my reader and it didn't generate the feed, apparently. so all this time I figured you weren't posting cuz you were gone. and looky here, I've just been in the dark. haha I just read the food / baseball posts. Yum! Hope you got some rest today.

    Oh and PS Landon Donovan is from Redlands, where I live. My hubs and his friends are around the same age as him, so they knew who he was in high school (but Matt played soccer for the local private school, so they were in different leagues).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew. I remember when the Tanner family had to overnight in the airport on Christmas Eve. Oh, Full House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling really can be a pain. My train from DC to Baltimore was delayed over an hour due to the weather... a stinking train! I hope you finally made it back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man he's soooo cute :) and freakin good!! I <3 Donovan hahah

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete