Saturday, June 26, 2010

Whoop Whoop

I probably shouldn't make fun of this. But I've had this frickin sore throat/cough for over a week now. Yesterday, it was so bad it started hurting jaw and giving me headaches. And I realized I wasn't actually coughing for a reason, but it seemed like I just had a massive irritant in my throat that kept triggering these fits of coughing.

Then I went online to update my Google Reader, and became overwhelmed by the 102 posts I'd missed over the course of the day I tried to catch up on sleep and went back to work. Putting that off for a little bit, I read some news article on my homepage about a Whooping Cough epidemic in California. Then I started reading the symptoms and freaking myself out (shocking, right??). Basically, anyone who has a cold is described in the "early stages" of Pertussis. But of course, me being the worrying freak that I am, I figured I must have these symptoms. Then I wised up and realized I've only had a cold for about a week now. One of the more painful colds I've had in a while, but you know.

At least I'm back to eating semi-normal again. With the exception of this minor hiccup last night....


Late night happy hour at Applebee's
Right, well besides a $200 bar tab amongst six people -- keep in mind that it was happy hour -- I did mention that I'm getting back on track after stuffing myself silly with crappy food on vacation. I would get so tired and lethargic from eating like that. Honestly, when we returned home I felt like I gained over 5 lbs.: my pants fit tight and shirts felt uncomfortable. But really, I didn't gain anything at all. It must have been due to all the sweat I lost in the humidity, all the walking we did, running up the pressbox stairs and the two runs I got in while on vacation.

After work yesterday I made a much-needed trip to Trader Joe's and $80 later (shared by two people, mind you), this is what my fridge looked like:

Full fridge = happy Monique! Especially since it's full of fruits, veggies, meat, eggs, Greek yogurt and chocolate soy milk :)

I also paid $2 for a basil plant, which turned out to be a good call since a small box of chopped basil was $3! Last time I killed the basil plant by keeping it in too much sunlight outside. So I came up with this solution today:


Hopefully this new home doesn't kill it
I'm hoping Woodstock doesn't get too upset since the bookshelf was the previous storage spot for all his treats. He used to sit under it all the time and when he weighed under 5 lbs., used to nest in the bottom shelf, haha.

Lunch after my T.J.'s run was fulllll of produce, something I'd been lacking over the past two weeks.

This decision to go to Trader Joe's was spurred on by my lack of food for lunch. After work, I stayed home and helped take care of the dog before realizing that it was 1:30 and I was STARVING. I craved a pre-made salad from T.J.'s and then decided to go all-out grocery shopping. I even treated myself to something pretty.

Which is funny, because when J.D. came back from his baseball coach's retirement banquet, he snagged one of the centerpieces which consisted of yellow daisies. He told me it'd been a while since he bought me flowers, so he thought he should bring me some. Awww :)

So after our dinner/drinking at Applebee's last night, I woke up feeling like my entire throat had been swollen shut. Honestly, I think drinking might have been a good idea because my medicine hadn't been working all day. I was suffering from another TMJ-related headache every time I coughed. Alcohol was a great way to numb that feeling, momentarily.

So now I'm trying to get myself up, but waking up to Landon Donovan USA soccer isn't a bad perk up! ;) My boys are watching from the couch, Woodstock may be even more intent on this game from J.D.'s lap while I enjoy a new buy. I love testing out and mixing different cereals for texture. Today it was Smart Start with a new T.J.'s granola, topped off with half a banana, blueberries and almond butter.

Yum, yum, yum. I need to get running soon. THANK YOU ALL for talking me out of this weekend's race. It would have been hell. I'm thinking about maybe delving into some yoga later, I don't know, we'll see.

What do you like to do when you're sick?? Do you try to work out?? I think I'm getting a workout by coughing haha, and lounging in my bed or in front of the t.v.

10 comments:

  1. I try to workout, but it usually doesn't happen.

    When I'm sick I lay in bed and watch TV and boss Lars around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a pansy when I'm sick. I try to workout but it is usually light like walking or yoga. :) Good luck with the basil plant. I am a basil killer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am sick, I give my body exactly what it wants. I never push myself to work out because I know I will feel better faster if I don't (especially with a cough). Rest up girlie, and give yourself a break! :)

    Great idea with the basil. I kill all of my plants by accident any time I get them so I have stopped (apparently, you have to like water them and whatnot LOL).

    I wish my fridge looked like that!! Did you get my email by the way? Hope the planning for what you are going to do is going well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I did thanks!! Sorry I haven't had time to respond! I am going to look into it and maybe wait til my next paycheck before I move forward haha. You're a big help though!! :)

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Trader Joe's... I love you.

    Sorry about the cough. That's a crap thing to be dealing with in the middle of summer!

    And I've been spending a lot of time away from the computer lately it seems... making my google reader almost unbearable! I love reading it all and don't ever want to "mark all as read", so I slowly chip away at the number throughout the day. That way I concentrate a little more on what I'm reading about who... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often working out helps me to feel better, but my husband has been dealing with the same type of cough/cold for about a week and I made him stay home and rest today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. full fridge = full heart = happy girl :)

    i love seeing inside ppls refrigerators. guilty pleasure!

    that couscous salad looks amazing!! been awhile since ive seen one so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man then you should check out that artist who takes portraits of ppls fridges!! I don't have the link now but it's on my old blogger. I'll find it, super interesting :)

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Minor hiccups" are totally fine! And your breakfast looks so amazing. I love Smart Start! My only problem is I can eat like 3 bowls of it at a time =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. You poor thing! I hope you start feeling better soon. I know that one thing I *never* do when I'm sick is google my symptoms - I always decide I have a fatal rare illness! Never good :P

    Gosh, I miss Trader Joe's so much! You may be sick, but at least you have that man in your life :D

    ReplyDelete