Monday, June 28, 2010

Sunday Brunch, Inspired Dinner & Boy Things

Have I ever told you guys how much I looove Sunday brunch? Well if not, consider this me shouting it from the rooftops. Or typing quietly from my dining room. Whichever image seems more appealing to you.

The one yesterday morning was no different, my friends. J.D.'s parents -- whose last name is Fox -- took us to a shocker of a restaurant in Lodi called The Dancing Fox.


I don't lie.
From what I gather, it's a bakery that serves pastries, coffee, sandwiches and also has a wine tasting room in the back. Sundays it shuts down all operations in favor of the Brunch Buffet, which includes their "world famous" bread pudding, pastries, fruits, French toast, bacon/sausage and the omelet bar.

I kept my sampling light opting for half a plate of fruit, sausage and one crab cake eggs benedict. Just like last night, I forwent the egg yolks and also the English muffin below.

Why do you ask?!? Because I was saving up room for an OMELET! I asked if he made egg white omelets and the man, bless his little heart, was so cute. He walked over to the fridge and skillfully cracked and separated the eggs with one hand in front of my eyes, dazzling those in line for omelets. So cute!!! Inside my two egg white omelet went spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, olives and artichoke hearts. DI-VINE!

I may or may not have wrapped some pastries in napkins for a breakfast to come. This chick steals glasses from bars and now pastries from buffets?! Classy. After we filled our bellies, J.D. and I went in search of a car dealer that actually had cars on the lot. I am IN LOVE with the Ford Fusion or the Ford Edge. He thought it'd be fun if we went out and test drove cars, but the puppy needed lunch and I don't plan on buying a vehicle for at least three more years. Have to bum around in the Taurus a little longer than I'd hoped apparently....

Well, we also got serious about cleaning post-vacation when we reached the house. Because a gnarly mess awaited us. I'm not going to lie and say we finished. But it's getting manageable. I cleaned the kitchen, dining room and living room and for the most part, cut back on all our clutter piles that have been neglected due to us working every weekend solidly from August to May. We also dusted top-to-bottom.

After all that hard work and 100° temperatures, a cold treat was very much in order! I went for pomegranate raspberry mixed with blueberry tart yogurt and then topped it off with blackberries, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries and dark chocolate/yogurt chips.


Yes, I ate it ALL!
Oh man the Midwest is missing out on this! We went on a mission nearly on a daily basis and could not find any make-your-own-yogurt shops. Why are you guys hiding them from tourists?!?! No worries though, since I got my fix back home :)

We both came to the conclusion that the best way to treat ourselves after yogurt was to stay inside with the AC on full blast and catch up on all the TV shows we missed while away. Again, not even close to caught up, but we did watch several episodes of Jeopardy! and Next Food Network Star ♥ Then my stomach beckoned to me. I was up to the challenge and answered its call.

Dinner was entirely based around my new find at T.J.'s from Friday:

Unfortunately I subjected them to a horrible fate (other than consumption, duh). Surprisingly the patties were quite large, so I butchered them into quarters and made four sliders for Mr. Fox and myself! Complete with sweet potato frites:

And a fruit spinach salad with MORE basil. I'm on a basil kick, for real. Good thing I've kept the plant alive for several days now, eh? Can we call me a green thumb? Too soon?


And I also poured us a sweet treat with dinner -- gotta love my ever-present sweet tooth!

Trader Joe's sparkling clementine juice. I tried to be good and cut mine with La Croix grapefruit sparkling water, so it was like a half-and-half. But, totally defeats the purpose when you have a refill -- twice. So it was like I had a full glass of the juice and a full glass of the sparkling water. Oh well ;)

After dinner I took the little wiener out for a walk and now that he's learning to go outside without any stage fright whatsoever any more, he's introducing new things into my life. Boy things... Like lifting his leg -- this started about two weeks ago. Today was another new one. Marking his territory. Oh no, what have I done?!?! I guess I should let him, it's the least I can do before we strip him of his manhood tomorrow :-\ Yep, the big boy-cutting day is nearly upon us. Sorry puppy!

Do you have pets?

10 comments:

  1. I do indeed have a pet :-) And I hope he won't do too many "boy things" before we get his bits taken off, lol.

    When you post about food, it makes me miss the states so much, despite all the good food here! Weird, huh? You just make stuff sound/look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo funny because I ALWAYS miss things about living in France :) you have the most amazing food over there. I love your cat haha. I think it was smart to get a boy, it costs SIGNIFICANTLY less to fix them than it does females.

    Enjoy your new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique...I love brunches...and yours looked delicious. And I also like your fruit juice cocktail, a nice and refreshing summer treat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you ever watch How I met your Mother? They have a whole show dedicated to Sunday Brunch, how it's only a couple's thing. LOL Marshall (who used to go to Sunday Brunch with his girlfriend, Lilly) finds himself single again and goes to brunch with a guy friend. It's so funny.

    Anyway, I grew up with all boy dogs. Two years ago I got Maddie, she's wonderful. I love boy dogs, because they tend to be really funny, but my Maddie girl is so cuddly. It's a toss up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those burgers look pretty rockin'. I love my puppy and kitty cat. I have a boy kitty, but a girl puppy. I grew up with girl cats, and Gus is definitely a lot spunkier than they ever were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooooooove How I Met Your Mother!! In fact my coworker and I were listening to Robin Sparkles at work this morning, haha. I totally forgot about the Sunday brunch thing :) I guess in our case, it did work out to be a couple's deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have pets. wah, wah. Maybe someday.

    That brunch looks kick ass. I think you should have brunch at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that brunch is what I am talking about---the crab cake eggs benedict just looks divine! And how have I missed those chicken burgers at TJ's?? I must find stat!

    Your dog is absolutely adorable. That face!

    I have one pup, he is a poodle chihuahua mix (currently resting his head on the right side of my laptop)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah I've seen pictures on your blog.... he's cuuuuute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm kind of overly jealous right now. Not only do I love Sunday Brunch with a passion, but froyo AND brunch?! that must have been a good day :) - Vicky @ vdubb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete