Sunday, June 27, 2010

How I'm staying cool

Ah, summer. Glad you're finally here. I love nothing more than high temperatures, over-sized sunglasses and lounging around by the pool reading trashy magazines and high-brow novels. Alright, you got me, I don't read trashy magazines. I rarely even buy magazines (but am currently on a little Runner's World kick, ha, get it?).

Yesterday I had a great deal of inspiration to keep myself cool, but also staying semi-healthy to make up for the liquid calorie fest in which I'd indulged the night before.

After breakfast, I had this craving for carnival fare. However it'd have to wait. Lunch was the leftover "light dinner" I was supposed to have at Applebees, but instead binge drank. The meal itself wasn't half bad. It was on the lighter options: Grilled Shrimp with Island Rice and Veggies. I had several skewers of very spicy and deliciously flavored shrimp, steamed veggies and the most surprising and wonderful rice I've had in a very long time! Why island rice, you might ask?? Oh, because it was FULL of tropical flavors, inside the seemingly average side of rice they stuffed slices of mandarin oranges and one of my favorite fruits of all -- PINEAPPLE! Went well with the piña colada I had the night prior, hehe. The rice was a very tasty surprise and I might have to make this at home some time. In all the dish was 550 calories, but since I only had half of it the night before I had extra room for my carnival-inspired snack. Sidenote: I beefed up my lunch by adding some more veggies because I had eaten most of them at dinner. In went some edamame and carrots then it all went into the microwave for Round 2 of eating.


Do you like to eat crappy carnival food? The 4th of July is rapidly approaching and I could NOT wait until then. Last summer I visited my sister in Newport Beach and she told me about how much she looooves frozen bananas. Intrigued, I purchased one but was not pleased. The banana was WAY too hard to eat, but the chocolate melted by the second. It tasted alright, but it was hard work!

So I bring you my healthier take on this goodie. I've had a banana in the freezer for quite some time now. Putting it aside on the counter for five-ish minutes, I whipped up a bowl of microwave chocolate! The contents included a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips, a splash of milk, a veeeeery tiny cube of butter and a spoonful of Maranatha's dark chocolate almond spread. Frankly, I didn't have the patience to wait for it to melt on a double boiler, nor the patience to clean it up, so in the microwave it all went. Two minutes later I had creamy, blended melted chocolate, with a dark twist.

Upon finishing I sliced off the ends of the semi-thawed banana and set forth with the daunting task of peeling a frozen banana. Which, wasn't actually difficult at all! Since I lacked the foresight to put a stick in the banana when I froze it, I plopped it down on some parchment paper and spooned the chocolate right onto the banana. Then rolled it around in some chopped walnuts and indulged in some girly, pink sprinkles.


Don't judge: I know this looks disturbing but it's SOOO GOOOD!!!

Perfection! My only complaint is that I left the banana out to thaw for too long. Imagine that. It kept sliding out of its chocolate casing, but still, was like a party in my mouth. A 4th of July party? Maybe. I'll let you know next week.

During the afternoon, Woodstock started to get a little stir crazy, so I had to find a way to occupy him. While it's taken four months, he's starting to understand asking to go outside to do his business!! YAAAAY!!! Every time he had to go, he did it outside yesterday and once today. This is a big day, people!!! But, he loved it outside so much, he brought the outdoors in. I was reading blogs and before I knew it, an entire flower bush sat in my dining room. What the heck?!? I attempted to put it back outside, but I think the damage is done.


I didn't do it!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

The two of us were by ourselves because J.D. was out for the second night. I was a good girl and cleaned the house after being away for two weeks took the dog out for a loooong run at the dog park after his destructive little afternoon. Time whizzed by, I didn't even realize we'd been there for an hour! But I think Woodstock made a girlfriend there ;) He played with a short-hair lady weenie FOR-EVER! They were so cute. He was actually kind of sad to leave.

When I came back home, I played around with that new basil plant I purchased. Because I'm silly and forgot to buy tomatoes and mozz. Oops.

Instead, I was craving a green smoothie! What do you want from me, I'm sick?!?! I can have breakfast for dinner if I so please :) So I tested out a Basil Green Smoothie:



  • 1 peach
  • 1/2 c blueberries
  • 1/2 c strawberries
  • 1/2 c mixed melon
  • 1 c spinach
  • 6 basil leaves
  • 1/2 c skim milk
  • 1/2 c orange juice
  • 1/2 scoop Aria protein powder
  • splash raspberry extract
  • handful of ice
And you know what, it actually turned out pretty good! I may have gone overboard with the basil, so if you're a first-timer, maybe opt for a little less. I'm a huge fan of basil in desserts, especially with strawberries. I sampled after the addition of each ingredient so that's where the tweak of raspberry extract came from. And the orange juice; I had so much basil it needed to be cut with some acidity. For those of you who are pros at green smoothies: HOW DO YOU GET THEM SO GREEN?!?! Mine always look sickly brownish. I did notice, however, after refrigerating the other half that it appeared to have gotten greener after about 20 minutes. Thicker too. Interesting, maybe that's the trick??

I imagine this would be good with more strawberries, mango or even a banana to absorb the savory flavors. I was just a little banana-ed out today and my mango's not ripe enough yet. It could use some playing around with, but it turned out to be pretty darn good.

If you're craving a sweet, fruity smoothie this is not the thing for you! However, I wanted fried egg whites and toast with lemon curd, so it was the perfect compliment to a salty-sweet meal. Last night I started attacking our pile of post-vacation laundry because in just over and hour we're off to brunch with J.D.'s parents. I hear they have an omelet bar so you KNOW my camera will be in tow.

Question: What kind of smoothies do you like?? Do you ever get adventurous with weird flavors?

15 comments:

  1. Have fun at the omelet bar... those things are the BEST! It's usually hard for me to not ask to throw in loads of everything they have... I'm crazy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM! That frozen banana looks good.

    I like adding a touch of chocolate syrup to most of my smoothies...gives them that extra touch of indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast for dinner is the best! Def a favorite! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend! - Vicky @vdubb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I?m staying cool...

    I found your entry interesting do I've added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same but with chocolate chips ;) feel better!

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! While I am getting better, I spent my Sunday cleaning hahah. Oh well. Hope you had a good one.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a smoothie genius. I just started drinking green monsters, so I haven't gotten crazy yet. You have inspired me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please come make me a frozen banana :-) It reminds me of Arrested Development and their frozen banana stand. I hope you have seen that show. Because it is pee your pants funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DUDE! Guess what my NAME IS!!!?!?!?!

    thanks for stopping by! I love your blog. and I love you name.

    sincerely,
    monique

    p.s. your name rocks

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah AWESOME I was drawn to your blog on someone else's because you were linked as Mo.... which just so happens to be MY nickname! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. chocolate, nuts and a banana...sounds like perfection to me! I would buy a dozen of those creations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow that basil smoothie looks awesome! I am the biggest fan of basil and I'm always looking for new uses for it! Totally whipping this up when I'm stateside and reunited with my blender :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My BF (aka your dog Woodstock) looks SO adorable trying to play innocent in that picture. That banana looks AMAZING girl. I need to start trying new things, its official. As far as smoothies go, I never play it creative: Always triple berry, or Strawberry Banana for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I get my green by putting in TONS of Spinach. Like I put in about a cup of milk or water, and then fill the rest of the blender with Spinach. Then I blend it until it is basically liquid spinach! Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. [...] on a stick! I’m sure I’m not the first blogger to do this, in fact I was inspired by She’s Going the Distance just the other day. I have started making these with the other 1/2 of my banana that I used to [...]

    ReplyDelete