I don't think I've admitted this yet here, but I plan on training for a half marathon at the end of the summer. I haven't yet committed to a race but I think I'll plan to do so closer to July, maybe for a race in August/September. But I HAVE decided on my training program. Starting next week I hope to start the Runner's World Ultimate Half Marathon Training Plan. Realistically, I probably won't start it for another week after since we're flying to Omaha, Neb., at the butt-crack of dawn on Tuesday.
Since reading most of your blogs and listening to marathon podcasts, I know adequate rest is part of the training plan. As are looong Sunday runs. That in mind, I set myself a goal of running between 6-7 miles this morning.
Before heading out, I grabbed a mini Clif oatmeal raisin bar. It was tasty, but in the end I think I needed more than that to hold me over for 70 minutes of running.
What's that in the back?? My hint at what I wanted for breakfast this morning :) During these 5+ mile runs, I am starting to play around with different types of fuels. Last time I almost threw up when I tried the Power Bar tangerine energy gel, so when I went to Fleet Feet last week to pick up my running packet for the Hook-Ladder race, I asked the employees to give me some ideas at other types of energy supplements. Eventually I left with about three different types. So this morning, I put one into practice for another trial run.
Verdict: I LOVE the pomegranate passion Honey Stinger chews!! I have to hide them or else I'd be eating them as a candy haha. But, it's reserved only for my long runs. I ate about three (packet contains 10) 4.5 miles into my race. They really did help give me an extra boost to keep going. I should have walked a little bit longer immediately after consuming though, because I literally could feel them jiggling around in my stomach the first two minutes back into my run.
Either way, much more of a success than the Power Bar gel, bleh. My run ended up being a 7.56 mile journey -- second longest run of my life by 0.03 miles, haha -- that I completed in 1:13:54. Really, not too bad considering I averaged under a 10-minute/mile pace. Like I said before, I could have kept going, but since my longest ever run has only been 7.59 miles, I didn't want to hurt myself. Everything I've read says to only increase running distance by 10% each week. So maybe in two weeks I'll get to eight miles :)
When I came back, the house smelled like BREAKFAST!! J.D. was such a sweetie and had the AC blasting and he already mixed me up a liter glass of flavored electrolyte water. While I stretched my legs and sipped from my beer stein, he started plating our breakfast!!!
Sunday's early afternoon brunch consisted of blueberry multigrain and flax seed pancakes! I spruced mine up with a spoonful of nonfat plain Greek yogurt, a white peach and Rainier cherries, yummmmmy. Then pure maple syrup was drizzled over EVERYTHING.
For the rest of the afternoon we need to start packing for our trip to the Midwest. We leave for Omaha on Tuesday then hop in a rental car and immediately start driving to Kansas City, Mo., for a couple of days. After that, we're on the road again for Des Moines, Iowa, for two more days and then the College World Series begins next Saturday in Omaha!!! Soooo excited for this trip.
So we'll pack today, maybe take Woodstock to the dog park and then who knows what else Sunday has in store for us! Enjoy the final day of your weekends!!
How do you usually spend your Sundays?? And runners, I have a question for you: what training programs do you usually use?? I'm open to suggestions!




sounds like a great run!
ReplyDeleteI need to start running my butt off.
ReplyDeleteThose pancakes look awesome. :)
Can't wait to read about your trip.