Thursday, June 17, 2010

That's weird, their flag's just like the French flag

Wow, blonde moment of the YEAR. Strolling downtown Des Moines, I grew very excited when I thought I had spotted the French flag adorning some random building.

"Oh look, it's the French flag!" I proclaimed, "Oh wait, not it's not. It's the French flag with something on it."

"That's the flag of Iowa," J.D. informed me. "This was a French colony."

"Oh yeah, Des Moines.... is French," I realized.

Wow, I suck at life. I also suck at being French. Either way, I wish there were more French attributes in this city, you know, like New Orleans, but not.

Anyways, it's late so I'll leave you with my meals today. I feel totally lethargic and out of it due to the insane heat/humidity. I don't understand how people workout here. But I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. I plan on waking up early and going to the gym on the third floor of our hotel. Also, I came to the conclusion that I'd be both a drunk and broke if I lived in the Midwest. Hear me out a.) I keep wanting cold, alcoholic drinks at all hours of the day here and b.) or I just want to go into an air conditioned building, like a mall. Being a woman, we all know I can't go inside a store without spending money.

Right, so back to the food.... shut up, Monique, right?? :)

BREAKFAST


Whole Foods breakfast (for two, sorta)
LUNCH (at Drake Diner)

Tuna melt, only ate half
Vegetable cheese cup 'o' soup, my throat's getting worse so I wanted some soup
DINNER (Centro Italian bistro)


Pomegranate berry sangria
Gorgonzola pecan balsamic salad
Garlic Margherita pizza

And since I've been so hot and trying to hydrate, I keep having to go in public places hahaha. We ran to a close coffee shop -- ironic, right? -- and while J.D. became a paying customer, I used the facility. He got us a fresh-squeezed lemonade with hardly any sugar at all. It was amazing! The coffee house was actually a small, organic and vegetarian shop which definitely looks like a place I'd like to stop for lunch tomorrow. So not a bad find and use of $1.75, right?


Fresh-squeezed lemonade, yummy!
Curious about that background? Well, we had a fun time scoping out the art district downtown and also J.D.'s alma mater, Drake University. I'll leave you with some pretty bizarre photos, starting with me.

"Running" in front of Drake's football stadium
Creepy statue in the arts park
The Thinker or the.... creeper??
Alphabet Man
I'm going to wrap this up since we're on the 21st floor and there's a TON of lightning and hail. HAIL?!?!?! So while I scare you with creepy photos, I'll leave you with something pretty: the background of that lemonade picture. I, on the other hand, am about to dive under the covers and hide.

Question: Does extreme weather scare you?? What kind??? I'm totally ok with living through yearly earthquakes, but tornadoes, thunderstorms and hurricanes scare the living crap out of me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh how I love random public art... Some of the stuff downton Chicago really confuses/creeps me out. I just don't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when it storms! But, I'm not like a fan of earthquakes or anything. I guess I was in one once, but I slept through it. So, I suppose it wasn't really that big.

    That pizza looks like the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i wish i was there to eat the other half of the tuna melt! that looks crazy good :D yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha the art is hilarious! What kind of camera do you have? Your pics are always awesome!!

    I am terrified of weather, even wind has me hiding!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cameras just a crappy little Olympus with a mark on the internal lens haha. It's prob 5 yrs old and I hate it!! I want a nice camera :)

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete