I have been MIA. From the College World Series. But no damage done, since yesterday was highly delayed due to rain and this:

(Source)
Like I've been saying, I'm terrified of thunderstorms. I was even nervous for J.D. since he was camped out in the super tall metal press box as lightning bolts struck within five feet of the stadium. For every strike in the six-mile radius, the game was postponed 30 minutes. Long story short, it ended up being over a nine-hour game when taking into consideration the rain/thunderstorm delays.
While this mayhem went on, I stayed home sick. Very, very sick. Waking up in a cold sweat, hot and shaky sick. And my throat is still killing me. As J.D. left for the field, I stayed in bed until 12:15 p.m. Thankfully, we're staying at a friend's house instead of in a hotel so I got to lounge around in good company and watch TV.
When I felt better Beth made me a grilled cheese sandwich. Then after a few hours of House Hunters and the on-going delay of the only College World Series game played last night, we needed to venture out for food. Mexican sounded good for some reason, so I indulged in a bowl of tortilla soup. Except, spicy food is probably the worst choice I could have made with an irritated throat. Boo. At least it tasted good before I choked uncontrollably.
Bedtime came and went and I rolled around in bed freaking out with every roar of thunder. The lightning became so intense it illuminated our entire room -- with both the blinds and curtains closed -- on multiple occasions. I'm such a wuss out here. I don't know how long it would take me to get used to nights like this if I had to live out here.
This morning, feeling much better, we stopped at Starbucks with the morning rain delay for a grande nonfat chai and cup of oatmeal. Forgive me for lack of photos here, but I'd feel really weird snapping photos eating at the press dining rooms. Ehhhh.... maybe I'll brave it another time?
Lunch has been more buffets of fruit, veggies and burgers/sandwiches. I swear to God, I'm eating sooo unhealthy here with only having one meal that involves fruit/veggies a day!!! Can't wait to get back home to Trader Joe's and abundant produce and home-cooked meals!
So what exactly am I doing here you might ask? Well, first and foremost, playing tourist. Rosenblatt Stadium has held the CWS for 60 years and will be closing after this month. As a baseball contact in collegiate athletics, I owed it to myself to see it before it shuts down. Secondly, I'm volunteering my services for the media relations crew. That means during the game I go into the dugout and find out which players will be appearing in our official press conference. I wait for the game to finish, collect the players and guide them to the conference room. During the conference all I have to do is take notes and write down who asks what question. Piece. Of. Cake.
Now while I wait for the end of the game to roll around, take a look at some of what I've seen here at Rosenblatt:
Now, it's elimination time. Teams are starting to go home as of today. After this we have one more day of volunteering and then fly out Wednesday evening. I'm hoping to wean myself off of these cough drops and Dayquil pills before then. Wishful thinking, maybe?
Oh well. TGIV (Thank God It's Vacation, people).




You should be a storm chaser, because they seem to follow you. The movie Twister looked fun, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI would cry. A lot!!! Stupid weather. Happy first day of summer I guess :)
ReplyDeleteSent from my iPhone
Per usual, I am jealous of your entire life. Sorry you are still sick! :( I hope you feel better soon. And I hope you stop getting hit with all of these scary storms! You are stronger than I am, thats for sure!!
ReplyDeleteI love thunderstorms!!! Send them my way!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Feel better :-)
I only like thunderstorms at a certain time at night when I'm snuggled in bed... otherwise, I hate them!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry you're feeling a bit under the weather. Especially during your trip!
Tylenol Cold and Flu works miracles! Don't worry about thunderstorms, they are not a big deal at all. Just noisy. I don't know how you guys in CA deal with wildfires and earthquakes! That would freak me out!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about your throat. I hate being sick on vacation. My last vacation I got sick-to-my-stomach sick and had to cancel a massage because of it. THe massage was the morning before we boarded our flight to head home. BOOO. It is no fun. Hope you feel better.
ReplyDeleteGotta love that Dayquil! Hope you are feeling better soon so you can enjoy!! "TGIV" haha I love it :)
ReplyDelete