Wednesday, June 16, 2010

That escalated rather quickly

....the weather, that is. (Kudos if you catch the movie reference)

First off, sorry I'm not really reading any of your blogs!! I've literally been at a computer 10 minutes today. And honestly, I'm not trying to check it any more than that. Oh yeah and today was probably one of the worst days of eating in my life. J.D. and I both took a look at ourselves and decided we'd gained weight, bleh. I'm thinking about running tomorrow night, it's been over four days since I last ran!!! And instead of going out, we're hoping to stop at Whole Foods for breakfast on the way to Des Moines.

This morning started on kind of a sour note since I woke up after a horrendous dream about planes crashing. Ew. For as much as I fly, you'd think I wouldn't be so freaked out about crashing. But I am, kind of. Then when I hopped in the shower, I realized I'm in the early stages of a sore throat. Even coughing up gross things with blood, grossss. So for breakfast I wanted something cold and with milk.

Enter Scooter's Coffee, where I picked up a nonfat iced chai tea. J.D. and I split a cranberry orange scone and he talked me into an unripe banana, which despite looking green, tasted pretty ripe!

Since the coffee shop is located in the nice outdoor mall I talked about yesterday, we walked around taking pictures and buying father's day gifts clothes for ourselves.

Honestly, this is NOT what I expected from Kansas City. I don't think I had many expectations for the Midwest -- no offense if you live out here!! -- and that was a good outlook to have entering this trip. Reflecting back on my last night here in KC, I can say I had a great time!

But there were parts of the city I'm content with having only seen once. Which is ok, because how else would we scarf down authentic KC BBQ if we weren't in a sketchy area?? Being in KC and all, we vowed to grab some barbecue for lunch today. At Gates BBQ we split the mixed plate that included roast beef, ham, ribs, fries, toast, pickles and baked beans for $15.

And definitely couldn't even finish half of the plate. J.D. made a valiant effort, but alas, he couldn't finish my half of the plate either. Paying $15 for the meal was definitely worth the experience! I'm sure we reeked of smoke after leaving that place, cooking burnt ends sandwiches left the dining room fairly smoky -- the perfect environment for chowing down.

After lunch our next destination was to the historic jazz district where we toured the Negro League Baseball Museum and the Jazz Museum. I realized I knew nothing about the Negro Leagues prior to this trip. It was really interesting and the jazz museum was a ton of fun! We got to play around listening to jazz legends and "making" our own songs. So awesome. I totally forgot how much I can enjoy this kind of music. Fun fact: I used to study to jazz in college. In front of the museum I totally grabbed the bull by the horns, figuratively speaking.

Ok, literally, you got me.

At this point, we were so hot from the gnarly humidity we decided a drink was in order to waste our last hour before the baseball game, big surprise! Unable to make it to the Power and Lights District the night before, we finally wandered over this afternoon. And what a good call that was!!! The area reminds me a LOT of Louisville's downtown area. This one is a ton of bars and restaurants with outdoor patios. And in 88 degree, 90% humidity, nothing sounded better than a margarita!!!

Don't let this fool you, it wasn't that great. The salsa tasted watery and nasty and the chips didn't actually taste like anything. So I only nibbled on two before giving up. My watermelon margarita was cool and tasty though. On the bright side, our two drinks cost only $7.50, what a steal! As we sat on the outdoor patio, the clouds started rolling in and the sky darkened.

Who could have known that 30 minutes later, when we pulled up to Kauffman Stadium 50mph -- not exaggerating, I swear -- winds and a crazy rain/thunder/lightning storm would pick up!?! I certainly wouldn't have guessed that earlier in the day, but then again, I've never been here before. On the way over, I enjoyed my very first coconut water ever. It was refreshing and necessary to curb my tequila buzz.

We proceeded to Will Call and picked up our tickets that the Royals' first base coach left for us. That's right, J.D. used his baseball connections to get these tickets, so awesome! In the torrential downpour we sought shelter and didn't get to take as many pictures as I would have wanted. Told you it escalated rather quickly.

Whenever I visit a baseball stadium I generally like to purchase something from the team store. I'm the proud owner of SF Giants, NY Mets and Chicago Cubs Spring Training tee-shirts. This time I had no choice but to get a hat in order to keep my hair from becoming a frizzy rat's nest in the humid rain. Making it over to our seats we were bummed to find out they were so good, we weren't sitting underneath the awning and protected from the rain. Instead, we swooped on someone else's seats to enjoy the free show. At one point a bolt of lightning ripped right over us and it sounded like the thunder was right overhead. Soooo eerie.

Now here's where my nutrition takes a turn for the worse. I'm not even going to indulge you with pictures of our eats, haha. Upon entering Kauffman Stadium we snagged SIX COUPONS FOR FREE HOTDOGS. I think I ended up eating two along with a large bottle of Aquafina water. Clearly two miniscule hotdogs aren't enough for dinner, so we split a bag of kettle corn. And since it is a regional Midwest treat, also split a small cup of frozen custard which is like a much heavier, creamier ice cream. I'm so afraid to even estimate how many calories, fats and sugars I've consumed today. It's ok..... vacation. I'll just run a half marathon when I get back ;)

While the groundscrew cleaned up the mucky field and removed the tarp, we toured the concourse and got to see some pretty interesting things. Like......


A double rainbow (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!)

And.....


Center field

(Yes, I am wearing my Oakland A's tee-shirt)

And....


Life-sized frozen custard

And....


The sun setting during introductions

Eventually the rain let up and the first pitch moved back from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. CT. Since we were soaked I actually started to get pretty cold. So we only braved three innings of the game. I'm a terrible baseball fan, I know. But in all fairness, we were there nearly four hours!

When we reached the hotel, I microwaved myself a complimentary packet of Tazo orange tea to go along with some Halls throat lozenges. My throat's still feeling itchy and weird, so I think it's time to get some shut-eye. In the morning a trip to Whole Foods awaits before we pack back up and move on to our next destination: Des Moines, Iowa.

Question: Do you ever have creepy/bizarre dreams??? I ALWAYS do. I guess I need to lay off.... whatever it is that's causing them!

Night everyone!!

8 comments:

  1. So many art forms in this post! I like the fountain best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really awful dreams. HATE them. I have dreams Lars did something mean, but then I'm mad at him even after I wake up...which isn't fair.

    I hate bad salsa and chips. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and is that Anchorman? i use that quote on a regular basis... ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ok, I won't take offense to your low expectations. :p ha ha... the midwest can be boring... and I'm actually a bigger fan of St. Louis than KC anyways...

    But I do like Kaufman Stadium. My uncle was a season ticket holder, so I've gone to my fair share of games to see the Royals lose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of weird dreams too!! Especially ones where my BF is cheating and I wake up super angry at him LOL. I also get a lot where people are after me. Creepy.

    I had coconut water last week and liked it, but that one looks like I would LOVE it. I didn't know they had flavored ones. Yumm!

    And OMG, I am a rib addict. I would have destroyed that plate lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey in all fairness, I loooved Chicago when I was there :) just hadn't been to any of the other Midwestern cities before. I had images of rural cities in my mind, but I'm way off apparently :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been here! I must say, I love the life size custard cone though =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great time! I think the worst dreams I have are about real life type situations. Especially the ones that bring up old emotions. blech!

    ReplyDelete